Glass/glazed units - Internal escape route

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

millpond
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Logistics

Glass/glazed units - Internal escape route

Post by millpond »

HI All,

Looking for advice on the issue of "Do glazed units or glass on an Internal Fire escape route require to be Fire Resistant". I am particularly refering to corridors that have wall on one side, where walls and doors meet 30 minute FR and glazing on the other side, either in UPVC or wooden frames. As an exmple a typical school corridor

Millpond
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Glass/glazed units - Internal escape route

Post by witsd »

I'm afraid that I'm struggling to visualise the situation... any chance of a quick sketch?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

millpond wrote:HI All,

Looking for advice on the issue of "Do glazed units or glass on an Internal Fire escape route require to be Fire Resistant". I am particularly refering to corridors that have wall on one side, where walls and doors meet 30 minute FR and glazing on the other side, either in UPVC or wooden frames. As an exmple a typical school corridor

Millpond
There's a simple answer: Yes and No!!

If a means of escape - that is, a route measured from any point in a room to a place of ultimate safety (outside), or a place of relative safety (a protected* staircase, lobby or protected corridor) - is within travel distances as taken from relevant guides (ADB, BS9999, perhaps a Govt fire safety guide or in the case of a School - BB100), then the glazing and escape route does not need to be fire resisting.

*protected route means a route kept free from obstructions, ignition sources and constructed from fire resisting material so that it creates a place of relative safety for those escaping. Once in a protected route, evacuees must be able to reach outside without leaving that protected route.

Please note that this is a quick basic reply and you should not introduce any control measure as a result of reading this. A full risk assessment will of course be necessary
millpond
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Logistics

Post by millpond »

Thanks Messy, your advice is always appreciated. As I thought there is no hard and fast rule and RA is the way to go

Thanks again

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy