Fire Training

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

pyrowall

Fire Training

Post by pyrowall »

Hi
I'm in the process of putting together a training matrix for fire training and I was wondering how often fire wardens require retraining? Is it like First Aiders??
Thanks
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Fire Training

Post by Messy »

I am not sure what a training matrix is?
Lyle

Post by Lyle »

I recently completed my Fire Warden Training and my certificate lasts 3 years before I would need to be retrained.
I would state however that all training providers are different and course certificates can vary.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Messy wrote:I am not sure what a training matrix is?
It's a list (usually done in Excel) where required training is set for various specific job roles within the company showing when updated re-training is required.

Fire Marshal/Warden training isn't necessarily one that needs re-training every year or even two years. There is no expiry date for this training and if the certificate has an expiry date, it is usually just the Providers suggestion, however if regular drills, meetings etc aren't being done, this would mean any training already having been given may go stale. If this is the case, then re-training every year (or even twice a year, whatever suits the company) is advisable.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment

Post by Messy »

Thanks Alexis - much appreciated :wave:
laura81

Post by laura81 »

Hi,
We do formal training every three years, but the fire wardens are all involved in annual fire drills and the debriefing from that, so that is a bit of a refresher of their roles and responsibilities and gives an opportunity to identify any issues.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Messy »

> All staff complete a short location bespoke annual e-learning course
> Wardens and others who have been assessed as being at a higher risk (facilities/catering) get a half day presentation and extinguisher show & tell every two years
> Security and certain facilities staff - all of whom stay in place to form a firefighting team - get annual half day training which includes extinguisher point & squirt (this is to be upgraded to real fire training - not a gas rig! - next year - funds allowing!).

We don't have a training matrix but we do have a nifty piece of software which staff record their attendance and it then sends them reminders automatically when their next training is due. If they ignore the reminders, their line managers are informed and regular progression to line managers can get the individual marked down on their annual appraisal
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

The best method I've seen (though not one that is always possible) is to get your wardens involved with routine fire safety tasks as much as possible. Have a rota where a different pair of wardens complete the fire alarm testing, fire extinguisher checks, fire door inspections etc. each time. Add in an occasional pop quiz or something to keep your team thinking, and as long as routine fire drills don't flag any issues, there's no reason you can't stretch the training to two or three years.

As with anything though, it will depend upon your workforce. If your staff are muppets, they are going to need more frequent reminders!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy