DSEAR/COSHH - Cabinets

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

DSEAR/COSHH - Cabinets

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi All,

This is a general query and not specific to any particular case.

I've read http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/ ... iquids.htm and am struggling to see if there is a specific quantity of flammable or highly flammable liquid which means that a fire resistant cabinet / trunk is essential.

I know COSHH mentions 50Ltrs and 250Ltrs, but I cannot see anything under DSEAR?

So, does anyone know when a fire-resistant cabinet / trunk must be used to store flammable liquids?? Or point me in right direction please?

Some cases I've seen have cleaning fluids (<50Ltrs) which are stored in COSHH cabinets, but are not fire resistant. So should these be in the red Fire -Resistant cabinets you can buy?

Also, is there a minimum amount which means that the client must have a DSEAR carried out?? For example, if a client is 1ltr of Acetone or 1 Acetylene gas cylinder, do they HAVE to do a DSEAR??

Thanks as always for any advice.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: DSEAR/COSHH - Cabinets

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Paul1979
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi - has anyone got any advice on this one please?? .scratch
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
LittleNell83
Student
Student

Post by LittleNell83 »

Hello Paul.

Our warehouse has a number of thinners and glues, plus some GRP resins which are highly flammable. Under a Fire Risk assessment a couple of years they were highlighted as being potential hazards which should be locked away on an evening/ when not in use. The resin is in a 25l container and the thinners are in 250ml containers.

The assessor's reasoning is that combined the amount is enough to accelerate a fire significantly, but I haven't yet found any advice on limits. We also store non-flammable items which can be hazardous in here to limit access, but on one side of the cabinet and have added a hazardous sticker to that side so people know.

https://www.safetybuyer.com/media/catal ... _1__1_.jpg is the cabinet we use.

It has actually helped (unintended side affect) with housekeeping, as the guys are now tidying their benches on an evening whilst putting away flammables.
Paul1979

Post by Paul1979 »

That's brill - thank you Neil.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy