Your journey into health and safety (sticky) (idea) (share)

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

YoungNick
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: CDM - Rail - Telecoms
Attainments: NGC, NCC, FCC, NDIP (H&S), SMSTS - GradIOSH.

Your journey into health and safety (sticky) (idea) (share)

Post by YoungNick »

Hey guys :wave:

I was just thinking while looking at a few past threads made here at HSfB and job sites in regards to professionals in a health and safety roles and their journey getting there and future goals.

Im not sure if we have anything here already.. So forgive me if they is a dedicated thread :D

I think it would be an amazing idea to make a sticky thread in which members who have worked their way up to an health and safety position or who are studying an health and safety qualification could share their journey from - leaving school - college - university - job roles/ opportunity that got them into a health and safety role etc.

I know i love reading peoples storys of how they have progressed their way up to a h&s role and where they started/ come from. And believe it could be really beneficial to new members who are just starting out to give them a bit more of a scope into an health and safety career :D

Any thoughts?

Nick :)

ps. My 1000 post here at HSfB [smilie=smiley-faces65.gif]
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

A big thank you to all the members here at HSfB.
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Re: Your journey into health and safety (sticky) (idea) (sha

Post by Keith1983 »

Just moved this into the Challenges and Suggestions section Nick.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

I showed a talent for developing and carrying out projects when I worked in logistics in a computer factory, and my manager quickly took advantage by getting me to write the procedures for all the logistics operations. When he noticed that I included safety in the procedures he sent me on a ROSPA "Intoduction to H&S" course followed by a couple of train the trainer courses (manual handling and work at heights) and a certificate in training practice from Scotec (showing my age there). I was then put in charge of all the training in logistics, and I began to carry out formal risk assessments as well as write and deliver training courses.
I changed job a couple of times after that, each time focussing in a bit more on what I was really interested in, and a few years ago my current employer phoned me out of the blue and invited me for an interview for a quality consultant job, I took it on the proviso that I also take health and safety and environmental management. I got my first formal H&S qualification a year and a bit ago (Nebosh Diploma), having traded on my experience and enthusiasm up to that point.
I didn't start out with H&S management as a target, but it developed along the way anyway. I like to think that looking after the quality of a product, looking after the wellbeing of your employees, and taking care to not harm your environment are all really the same thing... running a business well.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
YoungNick
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: CDM - Rail - Telecoms
Attainments: NGC, NCC, FCC, NDIP (H&S), SMSTS - GradIOSH.

Post by YoungNick »

Thanks very much Jack, Kev

Im going to place the all into a complete new thread so it looks a lot in order :D

Keep them coming guys :D
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

A big thank you to all the members here at HSfB.
Frenchie
Student
Student

Post by Frenchie »

I was a high school drop out about 7ish years ago, with no real plan. I hopped about admin and retail roles for a while. One day I got a temp position in a company doing data entry for the HSEQ department and in the aim to get kept on I started studying decided I liked and got kept on. Kept building up my qualifications and eventually left to go to a H&S focused job rather than an admin job in a HSEQ department.

Not a very long or interesting story.... Sorry :/
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Frenchie wrote:I was a high school drop out about 7ish years ago, with no real plan. I hopped about admin and retail roles for a while. One day I got a temp position in a company doing data entry for the HSEQ department and in the aim to get kept on I started studying decided I liked and got kept on. Kept building up my qualifications and eventually left to go to a H&S focused job rather than an admin job in a HSEQ department.

Excellent story I thought Frenchie. clapclap clapclap clapclap
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Frenchie
Student
Student

Post by Frenchie »

Thanks Alexis. I do think H&S can be a good shout for people that maybe don't want to go into full time education because the CPD element of it very high, which can be a good alternative for people who wish to just get out and start working.

Same probably applies to career changes :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Frenchie wrote:I was a high school drop out about 7ish years ago, with no real plan. I hopped about admin and retail roles for a while. One day I got a temp position in a company doing data entry for the HSEQ department and in the aim to get kept on I started studying decided I liked and got kept on. Kept building up my qualifications and eventually left to go to a H&S focused job rather than an admin job in a HSEQ department.

OK, got to be done; the connection is just too close... 'Frenchie' being a ... ''High School drop out'... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[smilie=sorry.gif]
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Stonehenge
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Automotive

Post by Stonehenge »

I started out in my company 20 years ago this August.

I first started as administration and software support. It was nice, but not me.

I then became a first aid and began supporting the SHEQ manager at the time. We developed the online incident log, and team meetings and training. Then he got made redundant and I started helping the new manager out with H&S stuff and that's when I got bit, bad, but the H&S bug.

My role had progressed from a team member to a H&S rep (although it's more of an advisor / officer, get stuff done kind of role). Up until that point I had no real formal training specfic to H&S so I did an IOSH workng safely, then a bunch of courses for manual handling, DSE assessor, CDM Coordinator, legislation, accident investigation etc and went onto the NEBOSH for Management of health & wellbeing, NVQ L5 and now the fire cert.

I have been bitten bad and have fallen hook, line and sinker for health & safety. Some people spend a lifetime looking for their forte, but I've found mine and I get a real kick of getting up every day knowing it's what I get to do every day.

I might sound sad to some, but it's something I absolutely love doing and I hope it flourishes into bigger and better things. There is nothing more satisfying for me knowing some of what I do helps not only a business but all the people I work with too, and apart from going home to a gorgeous husband and two smashing kids, it really doesn't get better than that :)

Angie
Practice makes perfect, apparently.....
Frenchie
Student
Student

Post by Frenchie »

bernicarey wrote:OK, got to be done; the connection is just too close... 'Frenchie' being a ... ''High School drop out'... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[smilie=sorry.gif]
Yeah I know, saying my H&S story was bound to have that turn up :oops:
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Frenchie wrote:
bernicarey wrote:OK, got to be done; the connection is just too close... 'Frenchie' being a ... ''High School drop out'... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[smilie=sorry.gif]
Yeah I know, saying my H&S story was bound to have that turn up :oops:

I think it's a brilliant story, made my day. 'Grease' has a special place in my life. ./thumbsup..
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Frenchie
Student
Student

Post by Frenchie »

Grease should have a special place in everyone's life :)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy