Moderator: Moderators

Tyban
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: higher Education

Fire safety strategy CDM 15

Post by Tyban »

Evening all,

Am I incorrect in believing that it is the designers duties under CDM 15 to produce the Fire Safety Strategy for a new building which would then be included in the H&S file to hand over to the client. .scratch

Cheers
Ty
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Fire safety strategy CDM 15

Post by Waterbaby »

Tyban wrote:Evening all,

Am I incorrect in believing that it is the designers duties under CDM 15 to produce the Fire Safety Strategy for a new building which would then be included in the H&S file to hand over to the client. .scratch

Cheers
Ty
Good question .scratch

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Building Regs requires for this information as follows:

What is needed to demonstrate compliance with Regulation 38 (previously Regulation 16B in Building Regulations 2000 (as amended)?

Where a building is erected or extended, or has undergone a material change of use, and the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order applies to that building or extension, Regulation 38 of the Building Regulations requires that, a package of fire safety information - ‘as built’ information which records the fire safety design of the building or extension - must be assembled and given to the person responsible for the premises.

The fire safety information provided should include all fire safety design measures in appropriate detail and with sufficient accuracy to assist the responsible person to operate and maintain the building in reasonable safety. Where a fire safety strategy or a preliminary fire risk assessment has been prepared these should also be included.

The exact amount of information and level of detail necessary will vary depending on the nature and complexity of the building’s design (further guidance on what information should be provided is given in Appendix G of Approved Document B – Volume 2).

Not sure if CDM requirement and Reg 38 are the same though?????
Tyban
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: higher Education

Post by Tyban »

Hi Messy,

So who would you say is responsible for providing the fire information to the responsible person. I believe it is the PD of a new build because they would have the drawings and schematics showing alarms, fire doors and detectors. Signage and extinguishers should also be in place for the Building Inspector to sign it off. However it's the client that usually commissions the FRA ????????????
.scratch .shaking
Ty
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I am a bit rusty on CDM, but as far as I am aware, there are a number of people who may be responsible for handing over the correct information to the client. For instance, it might be (depending on the size and nature of the building job) the architect, site H&S Officer, or project manager.

Hopefully somebody more experienced in this area will pop by to throw some additional light on this subject

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy