MRI Scan.

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

SafetyJay
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction
Occupation: I have completed a National Diploma in Applied Science Majoring in Chemistry, Completed NEBOSH General Certificate in OHS, ISO 9001 Lead Auditor, PTTLS Level 4, PASMA, SSSTS, SMSTS, and am working towards NEBOSH National Diploma.

MRI Scan.

Post by SafetyJay »

Hi

Just looking for some personal experience if anybody has had an MRI scan.

I was diagnosed with vitamin B12 Deficiency and Pernicious Anemia over 2 years ago and have been recieving treatment since then.

I dont drink often at all , this weekend was the first time i had drank in over 6 months and i notice that when i do drink my symptoms come back with a vengence they include;
severe tiredness, light-headedness , Heart palpatations, breathing probs, Mouth and tongue ulcers, bleeding gums, tingling fingers and toes,mood changes and disorentation.

I have never throughout my condition been advised to avoid alcohol all together but i have repeatedly gone back the doctors for them to investigate further - After this weekend i had a really bad spell and they have decided to send me for an MRI to invetigae my blood vessells and liver.

Has anyone had an MRI if so am i being silly to be really aprehensive , and scared :(

.pale :cry:
safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

Re: MRI Scan.

Post by safetygal »

Hi

I have Epilepsy so an MRI scan is something I have got used to over the years... you will by the end of it find it extremely facinating I promise (when you see the xrays)

you lie down on a bed and they cover your ears with hearing defenders, sometimes you can listen to music - recommended if you are allowed as it can get boring - I fall asleep

as you go in you can hear a loud sound every few seconds "Bang" "Bang" that is the MRI photographing your insides - ask to see the pictures afterwards :)

then you come out and thats it

it is not painful at all - just a bit boring thats all :) its a big xray.
ShaneJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Food Processing

Post by ShaneJ »

Hi Jay,
Safetygal hit the nail on the head - there is nothing to worry about the process at all.

I've had 2 MRIs - one for a ruptured ACL when I played football and one for a bloodflow issue. On both occasions I had music on (provided by them) and on both occasions I drifed off to sleep.

Depending on what they are looking for, they may need to inject some dye into the bloodstream but that is just an injection like any other.

As Safetygal said, the scans are brilliant - see if you can have a look - they might not let you see them at that point but ask the doctor when you go to discuss any findings.
Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

I can't say I've ever had an MRi but best of luck and I hope they can come up with a treatment plan for you to make your life as easy as possible!
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Retired

Post by Fletcher »

As has been said, you remove all metal objects, put on a gown (very fetching, you'll look lovely), you lay down, the part of you that is being scanned goes into a machine, there is a lot of noise but nothing to worry about.
My wife takes "War of the Worlds" CD and I take Rolling Stones
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi SafetyJay. I too have had an MRI and B12 deficiency and am Coeliac, so I understand your symptoms coming back with alcohol.

I discovered sulphites in certain white wines seem to cause me severe illness, although, even though many people like myself are sure this is a menace to us, it has not been investigated to prove one way or the other. (Jack can tell you the reaction I take). ;)

As for the MRI scan, it does make loud noises. I was told it sounded like noisey children, but it is much noisier than that, but not as noisey as a rock festival, so if you keep that in mind, you will be fine. You do have ear defenders on some, with music. Mine had no music.

You are given a button similar to what the weather girls hold and if you need to stop for a moment, you can press at any time to have a rest. If possible try not to use the button and then it will be over quicker.

If you can relax, close your eyes and go to sleep you are laughing.

All will be fine SJ, so don't worry. :D

p.s. No-one let me see my results. :roll:
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
SafetyJay
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction
Occupation: I have completed a National Diploma in Applied Science Majoring in Chemistry, Completed NEBOSH General Certificate in OHS, ISO 9001 Lead Auditor, PTTLS Level 4, PASMA, SSSTS, SMSTS, and am working towards NEBOSH National Diploma.

Post by SafetyJay »

Okay so I feel 100x better now! Thank you all so much!

Put my mind at ease a hell of a lot! - I hope they let me see my results I used to get X-rays left right and centre (china doll) and I just to love seeing them! I could probably diagnose a break or fracture I've had that many! Ha ha

Alexis do you get Injections too? I'm trying to work out if certain drinks, like yourself make me worse. I don't drink often at al though as sometimes the symptoms just arent worth it and that's after the hangover so its hard to experiment!

Like you said there is no link as of yet so my doctor is really funny about giving me an extra dose of b12 when I've had a drink! Again which Isnr often at all - my mum has told me to go back this week as you can physically see the effect the weekend has has so surely she will have to take some action!

Anyway thanks again all for your advice I will take it all on board! Just going to think of a song of choice for the scan :))

Much appreicated all!
X
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

SafetyJay wrote: Alexis do you get Injections too? I'm trying to work out if certain drinks, like yourself make me worse. I don't drink often at al though as sometimes the symptoms just arent worth it and that's after the hangover so its hard to experiment!

Like you said there is no link as of yet so my doctor is really funny about giving me an extra dose of b12 when I've had a drink! Again which Isnr often at all - my mum has told me to go back this week as you can physically see the effect the weekend has has so surely she will have to take some action!

Anyway thanks again all for your advice I will take it all on board! Just going to think of a song of choice for the scan :))

Much appreicated all!
X
Jay, yes, I do get injections 4 times a year and painful they are too as you well know. :lol:
I hardly ever drink too, but have found red wine doesn't affect me at all ill-wise. One large glass DOES affect me giggly-wise though. :lol:
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Retired

Post by Fletcher »

Giggly after one glass of wine - gosh I wish I had met you when I was up in Scotland, you'd have saved my Yorkshire pockets a fortune.

SJ & Alexis take care of yourselves
bod212
Industry Sector: Highways maintenance & construction

Post by bod212 »

I've had 7 or 8 MRI scans. I have MS you see, my neurologist uses the scan to monitor the activity of the disease. It's just a big noisy x-ray really. And those gowns are indeed lovely...
If you tell people the truth you don't have to remember what you tell them.
The deed is everything and the glory is nothing.
Never knowingly understood.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy