'Debate' on NHS Standards

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

'Debate' on NHS Standards

Post by Messy »

With all this talk of NHS standards at Leeds and Staffordshire, I recently had an experience of overhearing the issue of safety standrds being 'debated' by medical professionals:

I had a medical intervention about 3 weeks ago which involved the application of a pain killing drug (lidocaine) directly into my neck. At an early stage in the procedure, I was awake under a local anesthetic on a theatre bed with my face covered with a clean dressing when a huge row broke out between the surgeon and anesthetist. [smilie=dweeba20.gif]

It appears that the anesthetist had put the lidocaine and a saline solution next to each other on the same table - something this surgeon does not do or wanted. The surgeon shouted "NO YOU FOOL! DO YOU KNOW WHY I WANT IT KEPT SEPARATELY??" . The anesthetist argued the toss saying it didnt matter as they didn't do it for the previous procedure.

The surgeon the went on to shout at him explaining if he injected the lidocaine into my cerebral spinal fluid (instead of the saline??), he (i.e. me!) would immediately stop breathing. "DO YOU WANT THAT?... WELL DO YOU?".

The theatre went silent and hardly a word was said until the end when the surgeon finally acknowledged my presence and said the op was complete.

God knows what my blood pressure was by then. This is a routine medical procedure, but with a huge needle being passed between vertebrae and close to the hundreds of nerves in my spine, you would like to think the team would be on the same wavelength and certainly not fight as they did it!! On the plus side, at least I am still hear to relate the story ;)
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: 'Debate' on NHS Standards

Post by ddlh »

Scary stuff Messy - glad it went well though.

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

Wow, now whilst I appreciate the results wouldn't have been so immediate I have had disagreements in opinion with fellow professionals in the presence of auditors. The difference being I was professional to have the disagreement in private. It's a shame this doctor and anaesthetist didn't do the same!
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Oh Messy!!!! [smilie=smiley-faces-28.gif] Had that been me, I would certainly have had more than just high blood pressure!!

Firstly, so glad you are alright. bighug

Being their workplace, I suppose sometimes they are just human like we are and have blow-ups, plus the fact that surgeons are well aware of what mistakes can result in, so the person in question, in his "oh my god" moment vented accordingly, however..............
it should have been remembered by both that there was a person awake and listening.

Did they apologise to you?
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Hi Alexis - No, I didn't receive an apology - it was if I wasn't there during their disagreement. The truth is, although I was pretty shocked they were arguing (and so loudly in the 'echoey' theatre) I was rather reassured that the surgeon was insisting on high standards. I am pleased it didn't happen to me this morning, as I would have thought it was a sick April fool's joke :)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy