Life on the allotment !

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Retired

Re: Life on the allotment !

Post by Fletcher »

Back from Holiday, trying to get to the allotment but the hot water system is playing up so been stuck in for the gas man to come, came yesterday after 17.00 so lost yesterday, came/fixed/left 1 hour later overheated again, recalled so in all day today till they come and reset.

If I get anything this year it will be a bonus, I'm looking at next year as my year for actually starting producing something.
Still as a retiree I have plenty of time - sorry Acko didn't mean to rub that in (or did I?)
Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Fletcher »

My retirement party last weekend so had to get everything cleared out the garden and moved to the allotment.

Had a really busy day Thursday moving everything, erecting the greenhouse, making the first raised bed, planting the fruit bushes, rhubarb and some of the peas/beans etc.

Still I can now take it easier and do things slower. 3 more raised beds to make and the 80% of the plot that remains to dig over.
SafetyJay
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction
Occupation: I have completed a National Diploma in Applied Science Majoring in Chemistry, Completed NEBOSH General Certificate in OHS, ISO 9001 Lead Auditor, PTTLS Level 4, PASMA, SSSTS, SMSTS, and am working towards NEBOSH National Diploma.

Post by SafetyJay »

:D Congrats(I think) On your retirement and i hope you enjoyed your party!! :D
Sounds lovely - I want a greenhouse one day
So the question is do we get to sample any of this fruit :P

Take it easy :)

J x
Disco Bear
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @GCHSTraining
Industry Sector: Training

Post by Disco Bear »

Ooh yeah: put me down for some rhubarb .bounce
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Fletcher wrote:My retirement party last weekend so had to get everything cleared out the garden and moved to the allotment.

Had a really busy day Thursday moving everything, erecting the greenhouse, making the first raised bed, planting the fruit bushes, rhubarb and some of the peas/beans etc.

Still I can now take it easier and do things slower. 3 more raised beds to make and the 80% of the plot that remains to dig over.

Happy retirement Fletcher. .salut .salut .salut clapclap clapclap clapclap

You do know that you will be even more busy now than you ever were don't you!!! :lol: :lol:
Enjoy your allotment. You will love it. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Fletcher »

Thanks everybody for your best wishes.

I have been not working for pay now since 16 May.
Week 1 - "Daddy now your not working can you sound-proof the boy's bedroom, oh yes could you move this wall?" - 17,18,19,20th plus Week 1 lost
Week 2 & 3 - Holiday in Boa Vista (Cape Verde) - been a few times and it is great for us, not a big island and we can laze around doing nothing but watching the sea eagles/turtles and if at the right
time the whales showing off by bouncing out of the water, plus reading loads of books.
Week 4 onwards - settling into a routine of sorts Monday/Wednesday/Friday - swim early morning, allotment when her ladyship is doing stuff (all day Wednesday)
Walk my daughter's dog nice afternoons, go to the beach nicer days, cinema Wednesday evening (orange wednesday for two golden oldies costs us £7.50 plus £11.98 for two curries
and two pints to round off the day).

Of course there is always the possibility that we see an offer somewhere and away we can go, routine can be suspended.
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

Forcing myself to stop working at home at night so that I can enjoy a quiet time watering both plots and reaping the fruit harvests.

8 kgs of strawberries from two 6 foot beds over the last week - they struggled to produce last year.

Last weeks pickings - strawberries, rhubarb, loganberries, blackcurrants, red currants, gooseberries, and lastly jostaberries.

Wonderful summer puddings made on Sunday!

Next big task will be to buy more scaffold boards to raise all of the single layer raised beds one height more for better root depth for the brassicas and root vegetables.

The 2nd year growth on our greenhouse vine looks to be giving super little bunches of green grapes.

We're also trying a different tube type beetroot which is flourishing well.

And my daughter has finally succeeded in growing carrots which have failed in all beds to date even after following national expert advice.

Perhaps it's the bees on the next plot pollinating everything a lot better, certainly the fruit trees are blooming with fruit this year.

More updates when i have time, fellow growers !

Good to be back on here - busy days - trying to buy a 3rd company at present and moved into new to me office premises last week.
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Sounds like it has been a good year for you Acko. clapclap clapclap Reaping the benefits from all that hard work last year. :D

Good to see you return to the fold. ./thumbsup..

Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Fletcher »

Had a good couple of hours preparing the 3rd raised bed, managed to produce, peas, rhubarb, raspberries and potatoes in small quantities and tomatoes, but I didn't think I'd get anything this year so am happy.
Still lots of digging to do though before the plot is cleared.

Since I have retired I have lost 10lbs, it's not sitting in an office with the occasional trip out and not eating all the goodies that people brought in.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Well done Fletcher. clapclap clapclap

Retirement makes us all fitter than the young ones. ;)

Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Fletcher »

Just back from Boa Vista so I better go visit the plot.
Supposed to have new sheds erected whilst away.
Had heavy rain so ground will be sodden.
Still need to get about 25% dug over
Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Fletcher »

Hi Anybody/Everybody,

Had a nice afternoon weather-wise, bright sunshine, my beloved was at her glass art class so I went down the plot.

Dug about 10% of what remains to be dug and my knees are killing me.
Soil was heavy but easy to turn over. If I can get another couple of afternoons in the next 10 days that should see the plot ready for winter.
Then its sit back and plan next year's planting schedule.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy