Diesel Storage Tanks

Discuss all things environmental.

Moderator: Moderators

toecutter
Student
Student

Diesel Storage Tanks

Post by toecutter »

Looking for some clarification here. I've got 2 bunded diesel tanks on a site we've recently moved to, both with stickers stating they need an annual inspection by an OFTEC registered technician. I've had the site manager phoning companies to try and get one arranged but hardly anybody seems to know what he's on about, and those that do say it's not a requirement in Scotland. NetRegs says the following regarding oil storage:

"As well as a weekly check, you should use a qualified technician to carry out a detailed annual inspection and service of your storage facilities, including:
•checking the condition of tank surfaces, SCS and supports for pipework
•checking the condition and operation of pipework and fittings
•removing and disposing of any condensation water or sludge in your tank.

You should receive a report about your tank which details any faults that must be fixed before you can continue to use your oil storage.

Qualified technicians should be a member of a professional scheme for qualified tank installers, for example the Petroleum Equipment Installers and Maintenance Federation (PEIMF) or the Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC)."

Obviously, I'm inclined to believe NetRegs, but the fact remains that we can't find anybody who's able to actually do the inspection, not even a local company who are listed on the OFTEC website which includes the registration numbers of the individual technicians .scratch

Anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Diesel Storage Tanks

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ;)

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
toecutter
Student
Student

Re: Diesel Storage Tanks

Post by toecutter »

Finally found someone local who's coming out to do the inspection next week. Apparently he's the only one in the whole area that does them - I'm thinking of setting up my own business... Just found it so strange that even the Scottish government Guidance Doc on the Water Environment (Oil Storage) (Scotland) Regs said the inspections are best practise, but we just couldn't convince any plumbing/heating/fuel engineering companies that they're necessary.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy