Any Car Electrics Experts On this Site????

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Any Car Electrics Experts On this Site????

Post by Messy »

Ok, have we any car electrical experts (or amateurs) on this site?

This afternoon, I opened unlocked my car boot using my key fob and loaded some goods in it.

3 mins later my wife and I approached the car to get in to be astonished to find all four electric windows fully open

It was very cold outside ( 0 to 1C), but sunny. The interior of the car as warm, car as you would find with the windows closed - the sort of greenhouse effect. The door trims and steering wheel steering wheel were bone dry. It was clear that the windows must have only just been lowered otherwise the inside would be freezing & damp. It looks as if me unlocking the car somehow opened the windows, despite the ignition being off

I attempted to close the windows prior to turning the ignition on to see if that were possible. As expected, they wouldn't fire up. But with the ignition on, they all closed as normal and stayed closed during the next two hours we had in the car.

Its a Skoda Yeti 15 reg and had not been used since Saturday morning - before the heavy snow and thaw. I am wondering if water from thawing ice shorted a window switch. But how could they open with the ignition off?

I am stumped on this. Anyone got any ideas - short of it being haunted? I will take my mother-in-law out in it later as they should sort that out!!
. Obviously I am concerned this may happen again in a dodgy area, or worse during inclement weather, so would be obliged at any thoughts or even wild guesses as I haven't got a clue
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Any Car Electrics Experts On this Site????

Post by bernicarey »

I can't vouch for the Skoda Yeti, but many car makes have window up or down on the key fob, yet few owners realise.
This afternoon, I opened unlocked my car boot using my key fob and loaded some goods in it.

3 mins later my wife and I approached the car to get in to be astonished to find all four electric windows fully open
I had a case where I was teaching a FAW course and one of the delegates came in from break and said 'Do you know all your windows are open?'
My car was literally just a few mtrs away. That was when I realised my Ford did, and I've since discovered it happens with the wife's Corsa.

Turns out I'd somehow operated the fob while doing practical exercises on the floor.

Go to your car, press and hold the open for about 5 seconds, don't just push and release. See what happens.
if all the windows come down..... wait until they stop and then press and hold the Lock button for about 5 - 10 seconds, they should all magically rise again.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Any Car Electrics Experts On this Site????

Post by Messy »

Thanks very much Bernicary

I have just dashed to the front door and tried holding the button down as you said. Yep, all windows opened (and the reverse when the lock is held)

I never knew that!! Perhaps this is such thing a stupid or daft question after all!!! :roll: ;)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy