Excel formula.

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

DennisH
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Retail Distribution/Manufacturing

Excel formula.

Post by DennisH »

Here again for help,

I am struggling with a formula and hoped that there is someone out there who can help.

I want to count column A in Column C every time it has a Value, I also want to add column B when A & B has a value, however if cell B has a Value but A does not I want to lave cell C empty. does anyone have any ideas ?

I have attached where I am up to at moment. any assistance as always is gratefully received.

Thanks
Attachments
Data.xls
(18.5 KiB) Downloaded 676 times
Adrian
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Excel formula.

Post by Adrian »

Hi Dennis,

From the spread sheet you provided, I believe that the formula you want in Cell 'C' is:

=IF(A3="","",(SUM(A3,B3)))

This checks if Cell A has a value, and if not, leaves Cell C blank.
If Cell A has a value then it adds Cell A to Cell B.

Please send me a pm if you have any questions on this.

Regards

Adrian
DennisH
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Retail Distribution/Manufacturing

Post by DennisH »

Adrian,

Thanks fantastic thank you very much.
YoungNick
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: CDM - Rail - Telecoms
Attainments: NGC, NCC, FCC, NDIP (H&S), SMSTS - GradIOSH.

Post by YoungNick »

How do you all manage to learn excel tools and formulas? I get so caught up on excel in work, i wish i could do some of the things above and even more...
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

A big thank you to all the members here at HSfB.
Adrian
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Adrian »

Hi Dennis,

No problem, glad to be able to help.
ShaneJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Food Processing

Post by ShaneJ »

YoungNick wrote:How do you all manage to learn excel tools and formulas? I get so caught up on excel in work, i wish i could do some of the things above and even more...
I found Excel to be really difficult until I was thrown into it, needing to create a spreadsheet for training with conditional formatting for dates, percentages of staff trained, etc. and different training and periods for refresh.

Finally managed it with lots of help from Google but it needed hidden cells and resulted in lots of pulling of hair (as shown to the right). ;)

Stick with it and feel free to ask if, like Dennis, you have a particular problem.
Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.
Adrian
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Adrian »

Nick,

I learnt the majority of it the hard way, by trial and error, and using the help system in Excel, but it is worth pursuing if you have a specific task.

As Shayne has said, if you have any questions, please post them here, or feel free to drop me a pm, but I don't normally manage to get onto the site until late on in the day (due to working a late shift), so it may be a while before I pick up the post or message.

Regards

Adrian
willCDM
Student
Student

Post by willCDM »

ShaneJ,

What you mentioned there is exactly what I am trying to do right now. I don't suppose you know of any youtube tutorials that explains this?

Cheers

Will
jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Post by jonsi »

Will ...send me a PM with what you're trying to achieve and an email addy and I'll see if I can help.

Jonsi
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Half-decent MS Excel skills are a very useful skill to have. They can be a massive timesaver in the long run, and are well worth learning.

I've got friends who have completed courses on Excel, but personally I've just picked up bits as I've needed them, usually starting with an 'I wonder if it can…?' thought, and resulting in about 5 minutes of research to confirm that it can and then about 2 hours of messing about to work out where my missing speech mark of bracket is.

The help function should be your first go-to. Help functions have traditionally been next to useless, but they've gotten a lot better. Failing that, a Google search will find what you are looking for (providing you can describe it!) in no time.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy