I am struggling to get motivated - help!

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Freckles

I am struggling to get motivated - help!

Post by Freckles »

Hi, I feel my brain is totally full up of course material, so much so nearly every night I am dreaming about H&S!! I am feeling exhausted. I have my exam on 6th April. I feel I need to keep up with my revision but I have lost my motivation and confidence. Just needed to offload :-)
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: I am struggling to get motivated - help!

Post by WillPool »

Hi Freckles

Welcome to the forums :hello2:

Sometimes we can overdo the study. When I was doing my NGC I always ensured at least one day off per week to ensure my mind could 'relax'

Good luck with your exam when it comes ../.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi from me too Freckles. :wave:

Agree with Willpool totally. You have to have "free" days for other things.

I also found a de-clutter about a month before exams helped with the overload syndrome.

Put all your un-used-for-ages study material away in a cupboard (just like Wok used to do with the clothes that weren't used :lol: ) but keep out your revision cards and some past papers to do. Use our downloads to check anything you come across that you feel may be fading in your mind, just for quick prompts and do as Will suggests - have some time off.
https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/

You will be fine on the day and it will soon be over. Good luck Freckles. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Freckles

Post by Freckles »

Thank you so much for your support. I am retaking my exams next week and I really don't want to fail again :( I just wish I knew where went wrong last time so I could get it right this time. I thought perhaps I should have referenced in the law more, but reading some of the posts, it seems that on the certificate this is not a requirements unless the question specifically requests it. I have a couple of days leave so I thought I would continue to answer questions in the Hughes and Ferrett book. Do you think that is the best use of my study time? I feel anxious as time if running out.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi Freckles. I would just suggest you do one exam paper each day now and use study cards just to keep the mind fresh with anything you may be a bit unsure of.

By doing exam papers in exam conditions, this will remove any fears on the day.

The worst thing on exam day is the "perceived" fear, which causes un-necessary anxieties. This, in turn, can create a few blank moments that could be better used to gain another mark here and there. ;) So................by being confident in exam techniques, such as:

1 Make sure you organise your desk to have all pens and watch in front of you prior to the exam.
2 Take the 5 minutes to read all the questions prior to writing anything.
3 Chose the question that you know first, BUT.........make sure you number it correctly and begin with that one. This gives you a boost of confidence.
4 Time each question and DO NOT go over your own allocated time per question. Best to move on to the next one than waffle for no extra marks.
5 Read each question over and over again as you are answering to make sure you are answering what is relevant to what has been asked.
6 When you read a question, firstly write the number of the question you are about to answer, then, next to the number, put little prompts as to what points pop into your head for the answer. By doing this, even if you run out of time, the assessor will see that you knew what you were talking about and it could give you that all important 1 or 2 extra marks.
7 Make sure you are guided by the Action Words only and not providing fixes for everything. If asked for control measures, then that's all you need to write about, not how you would apply them for best outcomes if you see what I mean.

When you do your revision exam papers, allocate x-amount of minutes per question and don't go over that allocation. You will find some questions will take less time, which can be used later to read over your questions at the end and add to others if necessary.

I promise, if you can get the exam paper revision in every day, you will skoosh it on the day! .salut

Good luck freckles. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Freckles

Post by Freckles »

Hi Alexis, thank you for your words of wisdom :lol: I have been able to pull together some exam questions and I will start concentrating on them from now on. It's a shame Nebosh only publish 1 set of each papers with answers :? As it would help me to check afterwards if I have put the right amount of detail. Never mind. I am not very confident with exams anyway and often my mind goes blank - then I panic. Your ideas on how to overcome this is really helpful. I feel I know it most of it but I struggle when trying to put it on paper. Thank you again

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy