Moderator: Moderators

wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Re: New Member, needs help!

Post by wendolene26 »

Dave

I am currently waiting for the results of my NEBOSH, having sat the exams in March. I found the NEBOSH guide to command words invaluable. It gives short examples of how to apply the command words too (which is helpful). The link to the previous thread that Alexis provides a link to these.

Best of luck with your revision .salut
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.
tony0731

Post by tony0731 »

Thanx Alexis,
That was an excellent reply. Will let you know how I get on when I sit the exams 3rd June.
Just trying to figure out how to remember all the different laws criminal, civil etc........

Best regards,
Tony
Mat

Post by Mat »

tony0731 wrote:
Just trying to figure out how to remember all the different laws criminal, civil etc........
I have a horrible memory for important things (like certain birthdays for instance, or the name of the person I have just been introduced to). Sadly though, I can remember worthless rubbish with consummate ease.

With this in mind, I hit on a winner (for me) when it came to remembering the essential legal facts. I took the basic dry legal story, and turned it into a more interesting work of partial fiction, weaving into it the important bits (names, dates, type of snail, colour of ginger beer bottle etc.) as I went.

Try different fictional genres, imagine different 'narrators'. The possibilities are endless! (yes, for the likes of me, this is the level of 'saddoness' that I am driven to to obtain a positive result)

I had a whole load on a pendrive, along with a 'how-to-milk-the-maximum-number-of-points-out-of-your-Nebosh-Diploma-Unit-D-submission-because-every-point-will-count' spreadsheet that I found invaluable. I am darned if I can find the cursed thing though!
Mat

Post by Mat »

Tdcist wrote:Hello Everyone!

I'm Dave, work in a theatre, and am currently studying for my NGC1,2,3! Taking exam on June 1st!

I'm currently doing an intensive course and on day 2 of it, however nothing seems to be sinking in when it comes to doing revision or practice questions!?!

Does anyone have any advice on how best to get it all to sink in! I think I'm panicking too much which also won't be helping!

Many thanks

Dave
tony0731 wrote:Hi Dave,
I am new too, just started the NEBOSH course and on the 3rd day, like you nothing is sinking in. I am finding it difficult to remember how to answer the questions. If anyone could post the questions, (just one of each) together with HOW EXACTLY the answer should be written I would be very grateful.

Thanks guys,
Tony ;)
To get the legislation to sink in, I stuck a post it on the page of the course materials were it first made its appearance...
legislation.JPG
... with the title of the legislation on one side, and the year (that for me was the tricky bit) on the other. For the Diploma, I did this for the entire materials prior to starting to study. This allowed bits of legislation to be tracked down easy and revisited whilst I studied, and it also assisted in a bit of self testing as I went.
Mat

Post by Mat »

I was lucky that my training provider provided the course materials on pdf.

This meant I was able to print them off (at work, obviously*) on single side paper, thus giving me a side of nice clean crisp paper to cover in my childlike scrawl.
Scrawl.JPG
By using coloured pens, I colour-coded the scribble to the relevant section of the materials (can't use highlighters as I just end up highlighting the entire page).

I find writing it out...
  • helps to make the info stick in the first place
    gives a brief recap the next time you study
    gives handy revision pointers
    injects a little colour in your life
    gives you a bit of writing practice

Hole punching the sheets on the right-hand side, meant that the blank page was to the right of the lever-arch, which made it easer to write on the blank sheet.

At the end of the day, its trying things out to see what works best for you..... Some swear by mind maps, mnemonics and spider diagrams etc., but they don't seem to work for me, I just find I waste even more time in the exam trying to remember them, let alone their contents!

Best of luck, however you manage it!

*that's a lotta sheets of paper.
jamiemac

Post by jamiemac »

Jonah06 wrote:Hi Dave,

I did mine last year and felt exactly the same, no matter how much I seemed to study, it just felt like it wasn't sinking in.

Like you, I had about a month or so from the course finishing to sitting my exams. You can get audio copies of the course which I found very useful, I used to stick my headphones in and listen to them for a couple of hours a day leading up to the exams.

Don't over do the studying though, you will just end up frying your head.

Alex.

where did you get audio copies of the course from please? it sounds like a great way to take the information in for revising.

Thanks

Jamie-Lee
Jonah06

Post by Jonah06 »

Hi Jamie-Lee,

I got them off eBay. Be careful though, as some of the information on them is slightly outdated. They still really helped me to get the information sunk in though.

Jonah
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi Jamie. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB. Good to have you with us. :D
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Tdcist

Post by Tdcist »

Well finally, after some great tips here... I've only gone and passed!

Unit 1 took me two attempts, first one I got 41, second time round 65!
Unit 2 75, unit 3 85!

Overall grade distinction!

Rather pleased and also relieved I don't have to sit unit 1 for a 3rd time!!

Onto the fire qualification now!

Thanks all for your invaluable help
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

Tdcist wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:22 am Well finally, after some great tips here... I've only gone and passed!

Unit 1 took me two attempts, first one I got 41, second time round 65!
Unit 2 75, unit 3 85!

Overall grade distinction!
Very well done ! clapclap clapclap

congrats :wav:

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Aw, wonderful news Td! clapclap clapclap clapclap
congrats

Well done you!!!! .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Tdcist

Post by Tdcist »

Thanks all!

Some of the tips and bits here really helped!

Now, to prepare for the fire certificate!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy