Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

MrNugget
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Anti fatigue mats ?

Post by MrNugget »

Hi all.

Just having a look at my inspection notes and I observed staff behind a service counter in the retail area of the company inspected, they provide technical asistance and operate computers from behind the counter so can stand for substantial periods.

Based on my observation to relieve fatigue and pressure on the feet and legs I was considering reccomending anti fatigue mats, however my concern is the mats themselves could cause a a trip hazard. .scratch

Ant thoughts as always appreciated.

Jay .salut
YoungNick
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: CDM - Rail - Telecoms
Attainments: NGC, NCC, FCC, NDIP (H&S), SMSTS - GradIOSH.

Re: Anti fatigue mats ?

Post by YoungNick »

We use these in front of our label applier in the warehouse.

it has an raised gradient from the floor to make it more of a raise than a 1 inch mat on top on the original floor. Like this http://www.americanfloormats.com/conten ... %20300.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get them with the yellow paint around to easy spot these, ill be honest thou. The workers in this area should know that the mats are there and you should be able to depend on their own common sense with regard to them not forgetting where these mats are placed.... Easier said than done i know but this is such a trivial hazard IMO.
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

A big thank you to all the members here at HSfB.
MrNugget
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by MrNugget »

Thanks YoungNick.

Good to hear they used by yourselves and I guess they are useful tool by the persons using them?

Assuming lighting is good and the mats have the gradient I think it would be a welcome solution to the concrete floor, any feedback from staff using them your end?
MatMan
Student
Student

Post by MatMan »

There is no law saying that anti-fatigue mats are required, just as there is no law saying you can't use an upturned cardboard box as a seat at your desk (England and Wales) but the thought of using a cardboard box is ridiculous, surely morale and productivity would be improved using a comfy chair? With anti-fatigue mats, you should follow a similar approach.

A 2015 study found that 75% of companies that invested in anti-fatigue matting saw a positive impact on staff wellbeing, with 44% measuring an increase in productivity and 23% confirmed a reduction in absenteeism too.

So they are definitely good to have in the right workplace, but as for trip hazards? Well many modern Anti-Fatigue Mats are now available with yellow edging to make them much more visible against a dark coloured floor.
Last edited by Alexis on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of advertising as per forum rules. This is a post from 2014 and is not longer relevant.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy