back again with Q and A

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

gram_uk2000
Student
Student

back again with Q and A

Post by gram_uk2000 »

sorry in advance but i am still struggling with putting the exam ans down on paper correctly, this an example

Q:
Edited by Alexis.
A:
Legislation, approved codes of practice and official guidance.
British, European and international industry standards.
Manufactures information.
Direct contact with enforcement agencies and professional bodies
Internal information, such as risk assessment results and job safety analysis along with accident and health surveillance data.

would this just count as a list and therefore wrong? if any one could ans this question in the correct way, it would be appreciated.
I know Outline is less depth then either explain or describe, but more depth then list

many thanks, Graham
Last edited by Alexis on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: We cannot put NEBOSH questions on site as infringement of copyright.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
http://www.she-knows.com
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: back again with Q and A

Post by Alexis »

Hi Graham, you have the gist of the answers all there, just a slight expansion on the "why" for each is all that is required.

ie: Edited by Alexis - could include such as health and safety legislative requirements, conformance with approved codes of practice and official guidance, thus ensuring full lawful compliance.

Manufacturers Material Safety Data Sheets are an excellent source of information as they provide all information regarding the equipment being used, such as the composition of the components, hazard identification, first aid measures to be taken if necessary and fire precautions if applicable.

Hope of a little help.
Last edited by Alexis on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

A good request from Graham, I'm very much with him on trying to understand the depth of answer implied by the wording of the question; List, Outline, Describe, Identify, State, etc.

Also, Is it necessary/desirable to repeat/paraphrase the Question in the answer, or is it OK to jump straight in? I'm just thinking of the time pressure in writing anything that's not needed :?

back to Graham's question though:

My answer would be:

Relevant Documentation - manufacturers manuals for operation of equipment/machinery. Any pre-existing working practices?

Risk Assessments - what risks have been identified for the task being undertaken.

Accident Data - what accidents or occurrences have there been in relation to this or similar tasks.Within the organisation or outside.

Staff/Operators - What do personnel have to say about the task? They are well placed to highlight issues.

Legislation/ACOPs - What formal/official instruction and guidance is there? Are there mandated regulations to follow?

Training Records - What training is available or been undertaken in relation to the task?

Feedback much appreciated. Thanks
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

sly79
The Groover
The Groover

Post by sly79 »

Guys,

The way i have approach NEBOSH outline questions both for the certificate and Dip is make the point and try to give an example, what NEBOSH are looking for with outlines is show that you know but also understand the point you are making e.g. one source of information - accident/near miss information should be consulted to assist in identify any hazards which have resulted in previous injuries withregards to the activity about to be carried out, the causes of the accident should be refered to and the preventative actions identified within the accident investigation should be taken into consideration whilst defining the SSOW.

This may be a little too much detail but hey, the more you give the better you score. Remember, outline = make the point, show you understand what you are talking about.

sly
Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/simon-holmes/13/664/921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gram_uk2000
Student
Student

Post by gram_uk2000 »

thanks guys...ohh and girls

i will keep trying:)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
gram_uk2000
Student
Student

Post by gram_uk2000 »

am i on the right track now?
Q:
Edited by Alexis
Acts and Regulations, such as Health and safety at work act, Manual Handling Regulations, provision and use of equipment regulations to make sure compliance of legislation so far as reasonably practical is being met.

ACOPs to give more details of the requirements of the regulations and help give the level of compliance needed to satisfy the regulations, and official guidance issued by the HSC and HSE would help with further technical aspects of the regulations, although the guidance has no formal legal standing.

Manufactures information, this would give advice and information on the safe operating procedure, service and maintenance information, it will also show that the equipment is to a legal standard and finally identify any additional training needed to operate it.

Direct contact with enforcement agencies and professional bodies will give further advice and knowledge with regard to regulations, hazards, risks and general health and safety issues. Enforcement agencies are not there to only prosecute and enforce the law, but to give advice and guidance all health and safety matters.

Internal information, such as risk assessment results will not only identify the hazards, risks and people affected by them, but also to ensure that the organisation once again comply with relevant legislation. Accident and incident books should be referred to as these will identify any previous accidents, near misses and injuries and provide information to whether addition control procedures are necessary for the task to be carried out.
Last edited by Alexis on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daveyg
Student
Student

Post by Daveyg »

hi gram, how's it going? i dont know if you have came across this, but have a look at the revision section"a potted guide to taking nebosh exams"
i have found this to be a real help in getting my head around the "action words"

cheers dave
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

I think your second answer is a good one Graham. You have the what and the why as Sly has pointed out.

Berni, you can jump right into the answer. There is no set way which will give or reduce marks. I personally found it easier to answer and better for making sure I was answering only the question and not going off in a tangent if I repeated the question even a bit, but everyone is different and as you say, time is a major factor in the exams.

Sly has given a really good answer I think.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Daveyg wrote:hi gram, how's it going? i dont know if you have came across this, but have a look at the revision section"a potted guide to taking nebosh exams"
i have found this to be a real help in getting my head around the "action words"

cheers dave
I PM'd Dave as I couldn't locate this info, and with his help, here's a link to it:

http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/Ar ... _Exams.htm

it seems that 'Articles' has vanished from the menus. :cry:
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

Hi gram

I knew I had seen this somewhere - list of Action Verbs for NEBOSH:
http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/Re ... _Verbs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you find it useful (don't forget you can check out the Downloads section, the Revision Pages section and the Your Articles section from the left sidebar menu on the main page) ./thumbsup..
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy