My practice at a Practical report, incl feedback (REVISON)

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

Re: My practice at a Practical report, incl feedback (REVISO

Post by safetygal »

Thanks alexis
ETG
Industry Sector: Telecoms

Post by ETG »

I am about to do the new practical assessment at my own work place. The problem I have is the work I carry out is not office or workshop based but more in-progress checks. For instance working on the side of the road in a joint box.I have been told I would roughly need to identify 24 defects and 1 good one. The trouble is I would find this very difficult on any engineer due to the good working practices we already follow. (maybe 3 at the most) I already use a company in progress safety checksheet with 64 defects to look for. As I already know the defects to look for do you think I could write the report on a made up situation? I would think as long as I understand the process and can write the correct type of report up this should be ok.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi ETG. :wave:

Very interesting scenario in this one and because this process is new, I can't really say yes or no, however, suggest to your provider about using your progress safety checksheets and see what they say.

I personally don't see any other way of doing this. .scratch
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
ETG

Post by ETG »

Hi Alexis
Even though it is not my normal place of work I have decided to carry out the assessment in one of our company's building instead. The joint box senario would not allow me to include all ranges of hazards required (e.g electrics or fire) this hopefully will improve my chance of getting good marks :)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

ETG wrote:Hi Alexis
Even though it is not my normal place of work I have decided to carry out the assessment in one of our company's building instead. The joint box senario would not allow me to include all ranges of hazards required (e.g electrics or fire) this hopefully will improve my chance of getting good marks :)
Good luck ETG. Let us know how you get on. .salut

Karen E
Industry Sector: Manufacturing

Post by Karen E »

This post has been really helpful as I am taking my NGC 3 tomorrow, wish I had thought to do a trail run for feedback :? At least I can benefit from the feedback given here so feel less nervous :)

16/8/11
I got my results on Saturday and I got 82% in my practical so was really pleased, this contributed to an overall distinction so I am over the moon! .cheers
Last edited by Karen E on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Karen E wrote:This post has been really helpful as I am taking my NGC 3 tomorrow, wish I had thought to do a trail run for feedback :? At least I can benefit from the feedback given here so feel less nervous :)
Good luck tomorrow Karen. .salut .salut

Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Hey Karen, welcome to the forums :D :wave:

I hope your exam went well?

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
ETG

Post by ETG »

Well I handed my NGC3 in on Thursday, I am quite confident I will reach more than the 60% mark.

Once I get my result in August I will then give some feedback on the pitfalls of doing this task.
Don't want to say how it went and what I did to complete it until I have the result.

One thing I will say do not try and attempt NGC3 until you have completed most of the course as you will not know all of the rules and regs. You will also need to understand the marking system, if you go off and do your own thing you will lose marks

Many of you will write reports day in day out but listen to any tips from your tutor of what requirements are being looked for by NEBOSH as it will be different to what you normaly write in a report.

Good luck to everyone who has just handed theirs in and waiting for the result :D
grotbags

Post by grotbags »

Hi All,

I carried out my observations for my NGC3 practical today, but I am struggling so hard at the written report. Is there anywhere I can see examples of this to get me started. Any help would be appreciated so much.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Grotbags,

I've put a long answer in your other thread.

Can i assume you've not seen the marking structure and sample layouts?

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

ETG wrote:Well I handed my NGC3 in on Thursday, I am quite confident I will reach more than the 60% mark.

Once I get my result in August I will then give some feedback on the pitfalls of doing this task.
Don't want to say how it went and what I did to complete it until I have the result.

One thing I will say do not try and attempt NGC3 until you have completed most of the course as you will not know all of the rules and regs. You will also need to understand the marking system, if you go off and do your own thing you will lose marks

Many of you will write reports day in day out but listen to any tips from your tutor of what requirements are being looked for by NEBOSH as it will be different to what you normaly write in a report.

Good luck to everyone who has just handed theirs in and waiting for the result :D
I agree with what you say above.

Handed mine in yesterday and there is no way i could have done it without the course marking structure or the NEBOSH book with the sample report to get the structure right.

I write reports a lot but this was a whole different thing making sure you covered all the points in the marking scheme

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy