Warden Assisted Housing - Accident

Post all your health and safety law questions in here, whether it's case law, general law, individual Acts or Regulations you are challenged with, we are all here to help.

Moderator: Moderators

cbfire999
Industry Sector: Fire and First Aid Training

Warden Assisted Housing - Accident

Post by cbfire999 »

Hi

I am trying to find out which regulations refer to H&S in Warden Assisted Housing? The reason I ask is that my 96 year old gran recently fell whilst leaving the communal front door to her flat. In my opinion, the ramp leading from the front door is far too steep and the hand rail is positioned wrongly. I have looked through BS8300 but fear that this may not refer to this type of accommodation? Whilst she owns her flat she still pays a maintenance charge monthly. Who is responsible for this issue?

Thanks
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Re: Warden Assisted Housing - Accident

Post by Safety »

cbfire999 wrote:Hi

I am trying to find out which regulations refer to H&S in Warden Assisted Housing? The reason I ask is that my 96 year old gran recently fell whilst leaving the communal front door to her flat. In my opinion, the ramp leading from the front door is far too steep and the hand rail is positioned wrongly. I have looked through BS8300 but fear that this may not refer to this type of accommodation? Whilst she owns her flat she still pays a maintenance charge monthly. Who is responsible for this issue?

Thanks
The best place to start is to find out who the warden is employed by...once you know that then your can contact the company responsible for the maintenance who should be able to clarify their maintenance duties.

Is it part of sheltered accommodation, if this is the case then it could be part of the council services.....
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
cbfire999

Post by cbfire999 »

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am aware who the management company are but they are trying to make light of this accident! My Grandmothers whole face is bruised from the fall and it could have been much worse! If I can try and describe a couple of my findings, this might help?

1. The slope leading from the front door drops some 30cm over a 2m depth, this slope also has a camber on it. It also only has one handrail and this handrail is set back from the exit route. My understanding is that a slope should not drop more than 16cm over a 2m depth?

2. The handrail is overgrown with bushes, impeding access to the rail and the rail is higher at one end than the other?!

3. There are a number of other issues noted but I have them in hand.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

I'm not clear where did the accident occur is the ramp / handrail leading from the communal front door to her front door? you refer to the handrail being overgrown which would make it sound as if the ramp is outside the property and she had the accident inside the property so I'm not sure why the ramp handrail has any connection with her fall if it happened indoors

could the angle of the slope be decreased, is there enough room to reduce the angle of the slope or is there restriction on this due to space constraints?

Do you know why she fell / tripped although you have found issue with this ramp this may have nothing to do with the accident and she simply fell and you are trying to find fault where there is none she is a ripe old age but could have simply fell and there was no contributing factor. does she need a walking frame or other assistance when walking around does the property allow for this?

Not really clear on the details as you seem to say the accident happened between the communal door and her front door which would indicated it happened indoors but then refer to the slope and handrail having overgrown shrubs which would indicate it was outdoors and which meant she hadn't even made it to the communal entrance.

red

P.S. I'm sure improvements could be made but you need to identify if these issues where a cause of her accident. write a leeter to the management company with your concerns.
cbfire999

Post by cbfire999 »

Ok, the accident happened outside of the property, I thought that was made clear by the overgrown bush! Not normally found inside! It is not about finding fault as you say it is about what is right and what regulations cover these issues! For your information, the fall was contributed to by the very steep slope outside of the communal front door! As mentioned earlier a fall of approx 31cm over a 2m depth with a right to left camber to add! She does use a stick but I find your answer quite amazing that because she is a 'ripe old' age it seems to be her fault and not a building design fault!? Are you not familiar with the DDA? Thanks for your reply anyway but if anyone can add current content on regulations it would be much appreciated?

Thanks
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

Sorry but this is what you stated in your first post and where my confusion came from.
The reason I ask is that my 96 year old gran recently fell whilst leaving the communal front door to her flat
best of luck in sorting out the issue but i was only trying to clarify what happened to cause the accident. i will be sure to answer and issues you have in the future more carefully :wave:

Red
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

I was considering a full and detailed reply until I read your insulting comments to a previous contributor who is doing their best to help you.

So my advice is that you should consult a lawyer or the citizens advice bureau.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
cbfire999

Post by cbfire999 »

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I was not trying to be insulting, just trying to point out that I was after facts and not assuming it was the fault of an elderly lady! If I have insulted anyone, I must apologise. If anyone can throw light on this issue it would still be much appreciated?

Thanks
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Post by Safety »

Hi,

As in kevlarions thread, it may be better if you contacted a lawyer or the citizens advice bureau at least then you can explain in detail what exactly happened.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
cbfire999

Post by cbfire999 »

So there are no regulations?
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

Thank you Kevlarion for your comments.

Cbfire i was trying to help you but you seem to have taken my comments the wrong way but given you are under some stress and dealing with an emotional situation of you gran being injured, but maybe read all the questions i raised and don't just dismiss them with out regard, if any members can help cbfire with his specific question then please do as it is ultimately his granny that would gain from any help on here which i think is what this site should be doing. Again cbfire i did ask if there where any restrictions on how long the ramp could be built to, ultimately there may be guidance on the ratio of the ramp but this would only be guidance and not enforceable as like most things someone would or should have done an assessments if there where going to be any foreseeable issues of her being able to access her flat. Not sure if the management comapny will do a lot if the ramp has been in place for sometime (years) and there has never been an issue before, but they may consider carrying out alterations.

i never said it was the fault of the elderly lady but as we get older then our physical condition deteriorates which means that we will have reduced mobility and need the assistance of a walking frame or walking sticks which would mean that we will all be more likely to have slips trips and falls.

As before best of luck

Red
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi cb and Welcome to our forums. :wave:

Sometimes it is difficult to decipher the written word and meanings behind them, which I think has happened with your post. ;)

Our members are second to none when replying and always only too happy to suggest things to help with the questions. :)

I think the best person to throw some light on your request would be our very own Jack Kane. He does know a bit about the DDA Regulations, which I think is what you require. I am sure he will respond in due course, however, others may also come in before then.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy