Moderator: Moderators

petemac007
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Government

Phoenix H&S NEBOSH Gen Cert Distant learning

Post by petemac007 »

Hello all.

I am just after a little info please. I have just started my NGC with Phoenix H&S via distant learning. has anyone got any feedback positive or negative regarding Phoenix?

Also I would like to know, would reading the study book provided by Phoenix be enough to get me through all 3 exams.

Many thanks

Pete
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Phoenix H&S NEBOSH Gen Cert Distant learning

Post by Alexis »

Welcome back 007. .cheers

Good to "see" you again. :lol:

I have looked back at past posts and this is one from last year.
ssmith65 wrote:I am doing the certicate with Phoenix and there cource material are ok. I sometimes find it hard to ge the answers to the revision questions out of the materials but it is in there somewhere. In emails with Phoenix I have to say they have responded promptly to any issue or help I have needed and I am due to sit my exam on the 18th of Feb. Although my experience is limitied with them I dont think you would have any problems at all.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Extankman
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by Extankman »

just thought i would add a little in here as i am looking to start my diploma next month with Pheonix so any info on their courses would be a good insight to how they go about business :) GL with your NGC.
ssmith65

Post by ssmith65 »

I can expand a little on the above.

I started the Gen Cert about 18 months or so ago, I then recieved a large file in the post which was a nice and smart folder for all the course materials. I believe they now use the same materials but its in a book (at least it appeared to be the case when I took the exam some of the people on the course had workbooks) In the folder was a timetable for your proposed time of study for the various chapters of each unit. You are suppose to submit this to Phoenix so they can monitor your progress.

I was due to take the exam actually last April but I moved it simply becuase I just had not had the time to study the content due to being really busy with some office moves - I moved the exam dates again to February this year, each time I moved the exam dates there was a fee of £30 to pay. I finally sat my exam on the 18th of Feb this year and I am hopefully about a week away from finding out the result.

Whenever I have contacted Phoenix either via Email or Telephone I have always been able to get an answer to my question but I have to say that when I did have questions my first point of call was always this forum as you tend to get various different answers and different views on the question which went a long way to help me understand the answer.

I am concidering if it would be worth doing the Diploma myself at the moment in time and I wouldnt hesitate to do it with Phoenix adding in the fact that I would get a 10% discount as a returning student :)

The material from Phoenix comes with a set of questions at the end of each section I spent a lot of time trying to find the answers to the questions in the course material and sometimes I would stuggle to locate the answer but I suppose that is all part of the learning process. There are also two TMA's (Tutor marked Assessments) that you have to do under exam conditions which are essentially mock exams and they are marked and you get some good feedback on them in preperation for the exam.

I think with distance learning its more about having the commitment to learning rather than the actual subject you are learning. You have to be able to give yourself the time you need to study the content and there is a lot of content even with the NCG let alone the diploma. You cannot keep putting it off which I found myself doing all the time when I tryed to study at home (I have 3 year old twins and a 5 year old) so you can imagine that sort of enviroment wasnt the best for learning. I suppose I am fortunate that my employer is supportive of me and allowed me to learn on the job so to speak as my job is very relevant to the NCG.
petemac007
Student
Student

Post by petemac007 »

Thank you for your post ssmith65. Yes the course material now comes in the form of a book and looks very smart. The content is easy to read. I just think £540 is a lot of money for a book....lol
I have only read the first few pages and hope the tutor support is there when I need it and they reply in good time.
petemac007
Student
Student

Post by petemac007 »

Alexis wrote:Welcome back 007. .cheers

Good to "see" you again. :lol:

I have looked back at past posts and this is one from last year.
ssmith65 wrote:I am doing the certicate with Phoenix and there cource material are ok. I sometimes find it hard to ge the answers to the revision questions out of the materials but it is in there somewhere. In emails with Phoenix I have to say they have responded promptly to any issue or help I have needed and I am due to sit my exam on the 18th of Feb. Although my experience is limitied with them I dont think you would have any problems at all.
You are a treasure as always. ./thumbsup..
petemac007
Student
Student

Post by petemac007 »

Extankman wrote:just thought i would add a little in here as i am looking to start my diploma next month with Pheonix so any info on their courses would be a good insight to how they go about business :) GL with your NGC.
Thank you Extankman. I will let you know how it goes. :D
Stucag
Industry Sector: Mining

Post by Stucag »

I'm also doing the NGC with Phoenix via there distance learning. Got my book back in February but not really got into it yet. If you fancy a "study buddy" let me know, might motivate me a bit!

Stuart.
klakin
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by klakin »

I have completed all of my NEBOSH courses via DL and I have done quite a few! The courses have been from a variety of providers, the main thing is being committed and having the time to do regular work and not leave it to the last minute. I have used Phoenix, they were ok.

Good luck with your studies ../.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy