Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

rocketman
Student
Student

Advice on Next Course

Post by rocketman »

Hi All,

Looking for some advice, my employer wants me to do a further H&S qualification now I have my NGC. The options are:

NEBOSH Diploma - My employer isn't too keen on me doing this as all our team have had problems with NEBOSH and they aren't very supportive when feedback is required. So that is out of the question.

Degree - My employer would pay for this, but I am not clued up on the entry requirements, whenever I have looked at any it says you must have A levels or NEBOSH Diploma. I only have GCSEs and the general certificate. Could anyone provide me with any advice on this please?

NVQ - My employer seems very keen on this. I am concerned about it to be honest. The information I have read on this doesn't seem to tell me much, I am worried that there isn't much/any learning involved and they just ask you to provide evidence from your workplace. I haven't been in the role long so not sure if I would struggle. If anyone could give me some information on how the course is laid out and any learning and how learning takes place I would be very grateful.

NCRQ - This is the one I am interested in and trying to push my employer this way, only problem I have is they haven't heard of it.

Any additional information anyone can give me would be very appreciated, then I can make an informed decision and push it my employers way.

Thank you.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Advice on Next Course

Post by Waterbaby »

Hi Rocketman

Please see previous thread ( http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/fo ... Q+v+nebosh ) , forum members thoughts regarding NCRQ v Nebosh ./thumbsup..

Others will be along ;)

Very good to hear your employer is supportive clapclap

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
rocketman
Student
Student

Post by rocketman »

Thanks,

I have read through that thread already, I am mainly interested in what the NVQ has to offer learning wise and if it would be a good idea for someone with limited experience, also if a degree is out of my reach due to lack of qualifications and experience.

I appreciate your reply nonetheless.

Yes, my employer has given me 3 years to get all the right qualifications and experience.

Cheers
ivilla
Student
Student

Post by ivilla »

The Diploma and NCRQ are both level 6 qualification and are therefore the equivalent of a degree I think. If I had known how many jobs today were requesting the NCRQ as well as the NVQ and diploma, I would have gone for the NCRQ rather than the Diploma which I began 2 and a half years ago. I enjoy researching and exploring things rather than reading toned on text. also its significantly cheaper.
Kennymac
Student
Student
Twitter: @_kenduck

Post by Kennymac »

I have just completed the nvq, it is evidence based learning. I did find it pretty good, but be carful some of the providers don't give out much information. The company I used didn't supply me with much so I googled each unit and found a better guide from OCR. However my assessor was top notch and would provide great feedback and advice when needed. There is also a hidden group in here for those doing the nvq, an excellent place for help, advice and that little extra support.
The place I work in virtually had nothing in place, so I had to learn and develop with each unit. So it took a fair bit longer than it should to complete, you can complete between 6months to 18 months depending on how much time and evidence you can commit. Will be happy to answer any questions, I do know the nvq has changed and added and changed some of the units to keep up. I do think it's now a nvq L6 so still a graduate level.
rocketman
Student
Student

Post by rocketman »

Hi, thank you for the replies. Personally, I want to go the NCRQ route, it will be all about convincing my employer. If not, guess it will be NVQ...
rsgtmajor

Post by rsgtmajor »

Hi all, what exactly is the price for doing a nebosh diploma please?
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

rsgtmajor wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 pm Hi all, what exactly is the price for doing a nebosh diploma please?
Hi rsgtmajor and a very warm welcome to HSfB. .salut

They vary really, depending upon who you go with.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you will see SHEilds and Phoenix adverts. If you click on them, that will show you what they charge.

There are, of course, many other providers to chose from including the ones in our Directory. https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/directory

The following link is the new NCRQ way of learning, which is also worthwhile having a look at. https://www.ncrq.org.uk/dip-health-safety.php

Many of the providers do have instalment payments too, so a lot to chose from.

Good to have you aboard. :D
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
rsgtmajor

Post by rsgtmajor »

Alexis wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:21 am
rsgtmajor wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 pm Hi all, what exactly is the price for doing a nebosh diploma please?
Hi rsgtmajor and a very warm welcome to HSfB. .salut

They vary really, depending upon who you go with.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you will see SHEilds and Phoenix adverts. If you click on them, that will show you what they charge.

There are, of course, many other providers to chose from including the ones in our Directory. https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/directory

The following link is the new NCRQ way of learning, which is also worthwhile having a look at. https://www.ncrq.org.uk/dip-health-safety.php

Many of the providers do have instalment payments too, so a lot to chose from.

Good to have you aboard. :D
Thank you Alexis .salut . I will take a look at those sites
rsgtmajor

Post by rsgtmajor »

Was sent the nebosh ngc1 and gc2 units to study the only thing missing was the practical part 3. Will study these now and see where I get. Cheers.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy