Unit D - Risk Assessment Question

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

orkhan_b

Unit D - Risk Assessment Question

Post by orkhan_b »

Hello there, Guys,

I'm a bit angry and confused. Hopefully, you'd be able to help.

Just submitted my assignment report.

In my risk assessment, I mentioned teamwork and stated the name of people who were part of it.

Now my tutor came with the email saying, it should be solely your own work without any input. However, NEBOSH mentioned acknowledgment of risk assessment as a teamwork with full reference to members.

Got a couple of worm question in my mind already: would it affect my marking? and how bad?
Smudger207
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Offshore Oil & Gas

Re: Unit D - Risk Assessment Question

Post by Smudger207 »

Just play the game with Nebosh. As it says in the guidance notes in must be all your own work etc etc.

Having a discussion with your tutor is no bad thing, I had plenty to discuss with her and at times felt like they treat us students as very inexperienced and dont know what we are doing..... :x :x :x

Anyway, as I stay stick to what the guidance notes say. How would you feel if you dipped the exam by a point or two down to mentioning a team of people carried out the RA's? :|
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi orkhan. :wave:

I agree with Smudger to follow what NEBOSH says in the guidance notes.

To mention teamwork is always a good thing, but not in the context of who said what. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
orkhan_b

Post by orkhan_b »

Alexis / Smudger207

Thanks a lot, guys,

I just eliminated the risk by removing the team works from the assignment.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

orkhan_b wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 am Alexis / Smudger207

Thanks a lot, guys,

I just eliminated the risk by removing the team works from the assignment.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Leon

Post by Leon »

I received my NEBOSH Unit D result a few months back and received 84%.
I understand so many struggle with this project but of all four units this is by far the most important because this is the skill you take forward into your career - report writing, risk assessments, presenting to your employer etc.
I would like to share some valuable advice if this can help.
1. You are required to liaise with your tutor - take every advantage of this. You may think everything you are doing is right but if its not what NEBOSH are asking for you will be marked low for it.
2. Do not fret about the word count - I did a shade under 34000 words and was not penalised.
3. Read the student guidance - particularly the marking scheme because it tells you exactly what they are looking for.
4. For the section on legal environment discuss civil and statutory law and how it applies to YOUR organisation - it is easier than you may think e.g. Thompson and Other v Smith Ship Repairers (North Shields) Limited (1984) if noise is an identified hazard.
5. Use HSG65 plan-do-check-act model for the review and the HSE Self Assessment Questionnaire for the Gap Analysis (I modified it to include open questions to gauge opinions) .The plan-do-check-act model provides prompts and requires you to ask questions - the more detail you provide the better.
6. For the physical and health and welfare hazard identification be VERY careful to distinguish between activities, hazards and risks. For example, electricity is not a hazard but unsafe working with electricity is a hazard which can lead to the risk of electrocution. Within this section also include implications to the individual (e.g. electrocution, burns death etc.) and the organisation (loss of business and earnings, prosecution etc.)
7. Do not make the hazard identification into a risk register
8. Apply the same process of hazard identification to your risk assessment.
9. When writing your risk assessment do not apply the template you use at work - they are looking for more. Use the five steps to risk assessment guidance provided by the HSE (if applicable) but include an introduction (applicable legislation) and methodology (sources of information used).The devil is in the detail...
10. Gaps identified in the gap analysis and two risk assessments must be summarized and prioritized using a simple traffic light matrix - the descriptions and prioritisation must be carried over to the recommendations and actions/costings.
11. The devil is in the detail.
12. The report has to be persuasive - the stronger the argument and the more detail the higher the marks...
Last edited by Alexis on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Many thanks for this Leon. Very helpful.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy