Unit D - Action Plan Costings

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Thunderchild
Twitter: @sjuggins
Industry Sector: Warehouse and Manufacturing

Unit D - Action Plan Costings

Post by Thunderchild »

When you are putting your costings together I have really rather expensive recommendations that would not be entertained in the real world. Do I include them (the are the elimination aspect of the hazard, hence the expense). I'm thinking that I do include them as its only a recommendation at the end of the day and they would not necessarily action all of my recommendations.

:twisted: I hate this unit!
Last edited by Waterbaby on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change of wording
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Unit D - Action Plan Costings

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
ivilla
Student
Student

Post by ivilla »

This is what I put in another thread.
I also put in actual calculations using the sentencing guideline starting point for fine minus the cost of recommendation e.g.

£240,000
- £2,500
________
£237,500 Potential net benefit
Thunderchild
Twitter: @sjuggins
Industry Sector: Warehouse and Manufacturing

Post by Thunderchild »

Thanks for the reply but I had already submitted and was headed off to Lanzarote when this was posted!

I put a caveat in the final costing that said "although to overall costing was £x that £x of it was for future development to eliminate the 2 risks mentioned"

In real life it would never be an option as it was too expensive an option but it was the only way of following the hierarchy by eliminating the risks.

Although I did sit there and think that no CEO would ever read a report like that, probably not even the summary just ask "how much will it cost?" and "how little of this can I get away with doing?" :lol:
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Thunderchild wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:38 pm When you are putting your costings together I have really rather expensive recommendations that would not be entertained in the real world. Do I include them (the are the elimination aspect of the hazard, hence the expense). I'm thinking that I do include them as its only a recommendation at the end of the day and they would not necessarily action all of my recommendations.

:twisted: I hate this unit!
Ummmmm....
Thanks for the reply but I had already submitted and was headed off to Lanzarote when this was posted!
So the question was somewhat rhetorical then?

You haven't given much detail, but based on what you have given us, I would say there is a problem somewhere.
You say they wouldn't be entertained, so why are you making such recommendations? Remember that costs have to be proportionate; anyone can just post the total elimination of a hazard at ridiculous expense, but that is not the aim of the exercise.
Don't forget to factor in the likelihood and the cost of the failure. £500K might seem a lot, but it depends on the size of the business and the likelihood of it happening. What's the costs for significantly reducing rather than eliminating?
If you're costing it at £750K just to remove a 1 in 20 year minor injury, then it's not cost effective.
IMHO if you're approaching it with the view of "its only a recommendation at the end of the day and they would not necessarily action all of my recommendations." you're perhaps not in the right mindset at the moment. You need to be realistic in your recommendations and then passionate about the reasons for them. As H&S professionals we cannot just make recommendations without being prepared to justify them.
The person marking your paper is looking for the Cost Benefit Analysis and in the marking guide, to score the available 6-5 marks in both Action Plans and Recommendations, you require all actions to be costed and justified.

.salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy