Moderator: Moderators

Smudger207
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Offshore Oil & Gas

Referencing

Post by Smudger207 »

Hi All,

I have mostly finished my report but I need to complete the referencing within it. This is where I have a problem. I am using the Harvard model but I cant quite get my head around it.

Here is an example of what I have got so far, i need to know if this is correct before I continue.

"these are The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 Ref HSAWA (Great Britain, HSE,1974) and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 Ref MHSWA (Great Britain, HSE,1999). "

Also what should less look like on the reference page at the back. I have this:

HSE, 1974, Health & Safety at Work Act 1974(online)Available at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/37/contents (Accessed 07/01/2017)

Is this correct? Any help appreciated
redspelly
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Oil & Gas

Re: Referencing

Post by redspelly »

This is how I set out my references at the end of the unit d report - hope this helps

HEALTH AND SAFETY EXECUTIVE (HSE); Electrical Safety at Work: Electrical Injuries; HSE; 2015; http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/injuries.htm

HEALTH AND SAFETY EXECUTIVE (HSE); Ill Health Statistics Caused by Vibration (National); HSE; 2015; http://www.hse.gov.uk/Statistics/causdi ... /index.htm

HEALTH AND SAFETY EXECUTIVE (HSE); Injury and Ill Health Statistics (Regional and National); HSE; 2015; http://www.hse.gov.uk/Statistics/index.htm
Smudger207
Student
Student

Post by Smudger207 »

Hi Redspelly,

yes that helps..

What about within the main body of the report? If you mentioned a regulation did you just write it with no additional information?
redspelly
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by redspelly »

I did not reference any literature etc in the main body of the report apart from the legal environment section as I believed all references to HSE publications should be made at the end
Smudger207
Student
Student

Post by Smudger207 »

Ok, that's great then. The whole referencing and citing has me confused. I was reading somewhere today that Harvard has 27 different styles.

I very much doubt I will ever use this again. :-)

Thanks for your help
redspelly
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by redspelly »

The only advice I would offer is to make sure that you have consistency throughout the section - good luck with the submission
apf
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Ports and Logistics

Post by apf »

I used this site http://www.citethisforme.com"

Saved me hours. You can select you citing method and it does most of the work for you. Great for consistency & meeting various citing standards.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

I forget what referencing method I used (it's been 7 years :shock: ) in terms of its title, but I do know that I scored 7/8 for 'Planning and Presentation' so it must have been good; probably my highest individual marking category at 87%.

I simply used 'end notes' in writing it all up so the relevant text had a number in Superscript, with the reference at the end of the Report.
So for example, this was Reference 8
Reference1.jpg
Which appeared as:
Reference.jpg
Note that if an online source, the date when it was accessed is recorded.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Smudger207
Student
Student

Post by Smudger207 »

Yes I have laid out my citations and referencing in a similar manner to your Bernicary. Not sure if I will get the same results as you tho... As long as I get a scrape through I will be happy :-).

On another point I am still in dialogue with my tutor to complete the assessment log. This is never ending. I think by the end of it half of my report will be in those emails. :x
Thunderchild
Twitter: @sjuggins
Industry Sector: Warehouse and Manufacturing

Post by Thunderchild »

Smudger207 wrote: On another point I am still in dialogue with my tutor to complete the assessment log. This is never ending. I think by the end of it half of my report will be in those emails. :x
At least you had this, my provider just asked me to sign the form and then they signed it. They never saw my assignment until AFTER I had submitted it. No discussions or tutoring. Not a surprise I failed it the first time round.

Good luck, I resubmitted in November and have everything crossed!
Smudger207
Student
Student

Post by Smudger207 »

Thunderchild I feel your pain.

My first tutor would not even provide feedback or review my first section of the report. Against Nebosh rules to provide feedback on completed reports. I explained, its far from completed but still no joy.

My current tutor, I feel like she treats me like someone who has never heard of a RA...very frustrating. But thankfully I have finally got through my discussion log.

Another training provider I will never use again.

Good luck btw. I hope you get the result you are after.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy