Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Violence → stress = RIDDOR?

Post by witsd »

Hi all, another fiddly RIDDOR question.

I'm struggling to explain my thinking on this, but it largely comes down to this:

A member of staff was hit by a member of the public during their work (during an interview). If they then take >7 days off due to stress, is this reportable?

I know that stress is not a reportable injury in itself (although the HSE's reasoning: "because it does not result from a single
definable accident" wouldn't seem to apply in this case), but the wording of the legislation does not seem to preclude that an injury from the violence couldn't be stress.

Hopefully this makes sense...!?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Violence → stress = RIDDOR?

Post by witsd »

As always, the moment you throw your hands up in the air and ask for help is the moment the answer falls into your lap.

From http://www.hse.gov.uk/Riddor/examples-r ... idents.htm :

Q. Are cases of occupational stress reportable as lost-time injuries?

A. No. For the purposes of RIDDOR reporting, an accident is considered to be something which causes physical injury. This is because stress-related conditions usually result from a prolonged period of pressure, often from many factors, rather than just one distinct event. This does not mean that stress cannot be discussed with the enforcing authorities, nor does it mean that a concern cannot be raised which could result in an investigation.

Q. What about post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following a one-off incident?

A. No. For the purposes of RIDDOR reporting, an accident is considered to be something which causes physical injury. PTSD is a recognised medical condition and is regarded as a disease. Since it is not one of the listed occupational diseases, you do not need to report cases.

Thanks for your attention anyway!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Many thanks for enlightening us on this one witsd. clapclap

I know many will find this of interest as stress in the workplace is becoming more and more highlighted.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

But would the fact they were hit (ie a physical injury) not be the cause of the stress (not sure how/if that would have an impact on the definitions provided)?

An interesting scenario.
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

It is interesting.

More and more is being made of mental health (a good thing) prior to the upturn in understanding we didnt look at stress as a workplace injury as you were always told stress would more than likely come from home.

With this case above, it is quite clear that part of the stress, if indeed not all of it, was caused by the injury at work.

Even though it is not reportable through RIDDOR I would be looking at what could be done to eradicate future instances of violence.

Strange that if the IP had been taken to hospital for the injuries from violence or been off work due to direct physical injuries from the violence it would have been reportable though and not for the mental health aspect. Maybe something that will change through time with the HSE?? .scratch

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Thanks guys, your responses make me feel like I wasn't being completely amateurish in my approach.

There are certainly aspects of RIDDOR that I think fail to capture the spirit of the law, and this is probably an example of this. Given that PTSD example though, I think it's pretty clear that the HSE doesn't (currently) want to know about these situations.
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

You need to remember that RIDDOR - is just a reporting method - to allow the recording of statistics. It is not a "policing" service and things reported to RIDDOR - apart from fatalities - will be ranked and prioritised accordingly. So never be afraid to report as chances you will never hear anymore than an acknowledgement of recording.

That said - physical violence - or the threat of it - is massively stressful to some people and their loved ones at home - and may means they will not return to work. Indeed it affects their non work lives as well.

So you need to ensure that the risk of violence to your staff is reduced and that you have suitable support for victims and families in place. RIDDOR reporting in this case - in my mind - is the lesser importance!

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Oh absolutely, there are all sorts of other processes going on, both relating to care for the individual affected and reviewing risk assessments. The RIDDOR was just a separate thing, and 'if in doubt, just report it' has long been my approach!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy