Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Work/Career: I have complete lack of motivation ? don't feel empowered

Post by TWDB »

Guys,

looking for words of inspiration and motivation.

I have a complete lack of motivation for work at the moment ? absolutely tonnes to do at work,

also have a mental block with my management I just don't feel empowered, I'm told I am , but I can't see any examples !!

is it time to move on for a fresh start? there's loads to do here and should be good, but just can't get myself to do it !

really don't feel like part of "the team" any more. only me in the H&S Team.

deadline approaching for various things and I just can't get motivated to hit them !

sorry for the Monday morning blues but would value some advice words of wisdom.

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
PaddyT
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Re: Work/Career: I have complete lack of motivation ? don't feel empowered

Post by PaddyT »

T

I feel your pain. I am in pretty much the exact same situation.

Lots to do but zero motivation to get it done. The team which once had 4 full time members is now just me.

I can't think of anything to say that is motivational for you but before you decide if it's time for a fresh start maybe a meeting with management to discuss how you are feeling about the job and ask for support. Not necessarily additional resources but maybe even just a reassurance that they are on board with you and will take responsibility where required.

Hope things improve for you.

Paddy
"The more you try to make something idiot proof, the more likely someone is to prove you wrong"
Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

I get like that quite often. I watch videos like this when i'm feeling low. It does help.
I guess the trick is finding what it is that's making you feel the way you do and making a change in that one area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x1ziD2Zmq8
ssmith65

Post by ssmith65 »

I was the same recently and I am sure I will be even more so in the near future.

If they gave out medals for procrastination I would certainly win gold!! I`ll do that tomorrow has to be my favorite phase!

I am currently studying for a Chartered Surveyors degree while working full time! with a little family of 3! why would I do this to myself? well the reason is clear. How can I pass up an opportunity of this nature?

All I can say is go somewhere quiet if possible, sit down and get on with it. You will start to feel better as you tackle whats in front of you.

If its the job then do the above but wright down everything you like about your current position and then everything you dont like and then pick three job adverts you might apply for and do the same. In my experience people often moan about their jobs but then are not making any effort to move to a new position, not saying this is you but are you actively looking for something else?
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by TWDB »

Thanks all for the advise and support it is appreciated .

not jumping ship / looking yet.

but don't feel part of the team, and don't really know how to approach the management and if they would support or not.

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by TWDB »

what's the secret of getting my motivation back?

T
Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

If you don't feel supported, you are not going to be motivated. The only way to find out is to tackle the problem head on and find out if the support is there. The problem wont fix itself unfortunately.
David68
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @Dyer0145
Industry Sector: manufacturing

Post by David68 »

You are not the first, and certainly won't be the last.

For me it is all about small wins. Get on the shop floor, identify a small problem, solve it, move to the next. Look for tiny improvements or better still get the staff to find the problems and get them to provide solutions.

Massive workload - STOP. Go back to basics and prioritise your workload. Sort anyway you feel comfortable with - where you are going to do the, how long it is going to take to complete, management priorities. Deal with stuff immediately if it is going to take just a couple of minutes or so.

You need to be comfortable with the work you are not doing in order to be happy with the work you are.

Hope this helps, even just a little bit
Grad IOSH - Tick
CMIOSH - one day! ../.
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by TWDB »

Thanks All

T

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy