Risk from Student Assault. RA required???

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Risk from Student Assault. RA required???

Post by Messy »

My son is a college lecturer and discovered a group of students engaging in a violent act against a single vulnerablee studentesterday as he was between classes. I can't go into details, but as he intervened, a crowd of these inner city yobs surrounded him and threatened harm - seemingly as he was spoiling their fun.

He was shaken up but generally ok. He revealed that he has received no input, guidance or advice about how to deal with such confrontations. Neither is he award of ant policy to help staff stay safe

There's plenty of policy aimed at safeguarding these innocent children, but IMO, managers have taken their eye of the ball in relation to caring for their employees.

It seems to me this type of even is entirely foreseeable and the consequences are potentially life threatening at the extreme edge. Surely this type of event should be covered by a specific RA?

Short of issuing riot style PPE(!), providing training and uniform instruction is a reasonable control measure and I am surprised nothing exists

So advice please. In your opinion, what should his employers be doing in relation to this risk?

Do any of you work in the FE sector? What happens with You?

Thanks
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Risk from Student Assault. RA required???

Post by bernicarey »

Very much agree with your thoughts that there must be a Risk Assessment and procedures in place.
If you trawl the internet, you'll find some authorities have got measures in place.

Even this simple document from 10 years ago for Herts CC, states some basic guidance:

http://www.thegrid.org.uk/info/healthan ... ion_v2.doc

It needs raising immediately with the establishment.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

This link might be useful https://www.teachers.org.uk/help-and-ad ... ff-schools

As ever with these things - when I tried to google for info on this the vast majority of links related to how to protect the poor misunderstood children that are being violent rather than the innocent teacher caught up in the incident. Seems to be the norm in society these days that the perpetrator seems to get more help and support than the victim
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Brilliant stuff: Many thanks.

I am sure he will accuse me of babying him when I send the links and info!!! I am simply angered that a major college in a deprived part of London haven't got processes in place (or if they have, they haven't told their staff!!)

Many thanks
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

It's obvious isn't it. Teachers must carry guns. It's our 2nd ammendment righ...... oh wait, i'm not an idiot.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

bernicarey wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:50 am It needs raising immediately with the establishment.
Agree with BC. It hardly seems possible that the facility, does not have an RA / policy for staff in place but if not, clearly time to sort that :shock:

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

grim72 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:37 pm This link might be useful https://www.teachers.org.uk/help-and-ad ... ff-schools
That's a really good violence and aggression policy example. I just want to highlight it again for readers of this topic. ./thumbsup..

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy