Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Riddor and Hospital?

Post by Keith1983 »

Hi Guys and girls, I haven't been around for a long while so first of all it's good to be back! I would just like a collective sanity check please. With the last revision to the Riddor regs and the shortening of the specified injuries list did the requirement to report if someone spent more than 214 hours in hospital go out the window? I can see if it was associated with work in a confined space but not as a general requirement? We have had an accident and an injury sustained but I do not know the exact extent of the injury yet. It doesn't fall under a dangerous occurrence and the IP has not had more than 7 days off work as of yet but has had more than 24 hours in hospital? I'm thinking at this stage that I need to wait and see if it becomes a 7 day injury? What do you think.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Riddor and Hospital?

Post by Waterbaby »

Hi Keith

Any further update ?

I would go with this HSE advice , not a dangerous occurrence etc as you have mentioned ./thumbsup.. ( wait until events evolve a bit more, perhaps a formal diagnosis pending at hospital ? )

"What to do when the extent of an injury is unclear

In some cases, employers and self-employed workers may not be in a position to know the full extent of an injury, eg when a prognosis has not yet been established in relation to an eye injury, or when efforts are being made to treat an injured limb which may ultimately require surgical amputation. In such situations, there is no requirement to make precautionary reports of specified injuries. It is likely that the accident will in any case require reporting due to the injured person being incapacitated for more than seven days. The enforcing authority should be notified or updated as soon as a specified injury has been confirmed."

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/specified-injuries.htm

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Keith1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

It will almost certainly become a 7 day absence in time. I don't have any further diagnosis or prognosis. I believe I'm right in saying that in the previous version of the regs it was reportable as soon as someone has spent a period of time in hospital and that is no longer the case? The only reference I can find is that of accidents which occurred in a confined space and the IP being hospitalised for more then 24 hours?
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

../.

"Changes to RIDDOR: October 2013

However, some of the former major injuries that are no longer reportable as specified (as described in the above 10% reduction), still fall within the over-7-day reporting threshold, and reported as such. Typically many of these are dislocations or overnight hospitalisation, previously classified as major, but now reportable as over-7-day injuries. "

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/riddor ... cation.htm

"Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker
Accidents must be reported where they result in an employee or self-employed person being away from work, or unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days as the result of their injury. This seven day period does not include the day of the accident, but does include weekends and rest days. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident."

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/reportable-incidents.htm

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy