Day to day duties

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

IanMachin
(Secondment to H&S Coordinator)

Day to day duties

Post by IanMachin »

Hi all

I am a seconded H&S Coordinator at my company under the H,S&E Manager.
To be completely honest, I have had very little mentorship and guidance in the role. My duties include:
Risk Assessments on the controls database
COSHH Assessments
Ergonomic Assessments
Manual handling/Slinging & Lifting training (New starters, and refreshers)
Inductions
Audits (Very little training on this, however our audits are designed by group and are easy enough to do.

Apart from that... I struggle, My appraisal in December I highlighted my need for further training and work.

IEMA, PTTLS and further audit training leading to lead auditor was my goal for 2018.

This has been a 12 month secondment and he promised me a full time position in the department in June.

I have completed my NGC, so I do have some basic understanding of H&S and do enjoy what I do, when on the rare occasion I am given something to do I thrive at it however the lack of work and guidance is.. well not good.

All that aside, to help me along the way and give me an idea if possible, and I do know in this business it can change regular but what kind of things do you all do on a day to day basis in your H&S roles?
Last edited by IanMachin on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Day to day duties

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Day to day duties

Post by ddlh »

Hi Ian

When i went into any job I wanted to know what the team were doing - to prevent duplication and justify the tasks done.

Create a list of the things that you currently do - also list if it gives benefit - or is just ignored or repeated elsewhere.
Create a list of the things that you feel should be getting done but are not - can you do them?

Speak to the manager and find out what he wants to see - and get it started before the new guys gets into place. See if you can agree training on anything you think you need.
Also document any training, achievements etc. for your CV - you never know when it will come in handy.

Speak to the work force - if it is big enough - and start a safety committee if you dont already have one - HSE love that! Your new manager will do this if there is not one in place!

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want a chat?

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy