Advice in terms of qualifications achieved and job variety

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1131

Advice in terms of qualifications achieved and job variety

Post by Paul1131 »

Hi all
Just looking for some advice from those with the experience
I am currently a manager within a large DIY company managing around 160 staff and have been involved with health and safety and risk assessments etc for around 25 years how ever i recently decided It was time for a change and over the last 2 years I have achieved my iosh nebosh general nebosh construction and smsts qualifications and will be applying for my black cscs card and techiosh title as well. The reason for a change was a few but mainly to get a balance and quality of life as well.
What job roles in Ur opinion could I apply for which u feel i am qualified for ? I was thinking site mgr or consultancy but looking for advice for those in the game please which pay well lol
Last edited by Alexis on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing company name.
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Re: Advice in terms of qualifications achieved and job variety

Post by Steve M »

Welcome to the forum Paul

What do you feel comfortable doing?

From your post it appears that construction appeals to you, in which case you should look in that direction for roles.

How confident do you feel taking on a management role in a new direction? there is a difference between a manager who does health and safety and a health and safety manager, however, there are some general managers who do a better job than some dedicated H&S managers I know, only you can possibly know how confident you are.

If venturing into a new domain I would look for a lower level role to get to understand how the process works and things that need to be taken into consideration, then either move up within that company or look for a more challenging/senior job elsewhere, loyalty is great in a company but the only way to get a proper salary is to move elsewhere, with 2% increase in salaries the norm unless you move to a new job role in your company your restricted.

You can expect a starting salary of about £30k as an advisor/officer and about £40k as a manager, raising to about 70K as a head of H&S, depending on what you call a good salary this is not a bad start.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

I would not advocate Consultancy, unless as a Junior, working as part of a team, whilst undertaking further qualifications, such as The NEBOSH Diploma, NVQ or other additional study.

All too often, I encounter the work of people working as consultants, outside of their knowledge and experience, where they either miss things or include totally irrelevant and insignificant hazards thereby distracting the client from what the real problems are.

They are the bane of my life; I have to spend time showing new clients why their previous audits were a waste of time.
I lost out on a client last year because they wouldn't accept that they had wasted their money previously, and I couldn't be their 'Competent Person' knowing they had so many problems.

To quote the NEBOSH description of their Certificate qualifications.....
NEBOSH's Certificate-level qualifications give a good foundation in health and safety for managers, supervisors and staff with health and safety among their day to day responsibilities.
They are a foundation, not the end game, and certainly not a licence to go out 'Consulting' without a reality check.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Paul1131

Post by Paul1131 »

Although I have great understanding on management and have fun some of the roughest and toughest stores in the company in stores of 160,000 square feet plus and currently run a flagship store I also understand that management in a store and managing a companies H& S policies etc is completely and I would need to work my way up gaining the experience how ever my original plan was to run a site as a site manager to gain that experience hence just completed my smsts course how ever it seems to me that the best way of gaining experience in consultancy is to start in this role leading from those already in it and it also seems to pay better . Would you agree with the above through your experiences ?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy