Overhead gantry cranes - lift plan needed?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

paulmclark

Overhead gantry cranes - lift plan needed?

Post by paulmclark »

Hi Guys,

Forum newbie asking for some advice...

I consult for a manufacturer who has a number of overhead travelling cranes within the factory for moving tooling about. I am risk assessing at the moment. The work with them is pretty safe as the guys are all competent and careful, but does this type of lifting need a lift plan in place (if so presumably as a generic covering all the types of lifts that would reasonably be carried out).

I've tried looking for info, but most of what I can see refers to more general crane operations and there is no BS7121-1 series for this type of crane. The manufacturer guidance is less than helpful too, rather predictably.

Thanks all,
Paul
PaddyT
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Re: Overhead gantry cranes - lift plan needed?

Post by PaddyT »

Hi Paul,

You've pretty much answered your own question really.

LOLER reg 8 planning of lifting operations
"Every employer shall ensure that every lifting operation involving lifting equipment is —
(a) properly planned by a competent person;
(b) appropriately supervised; and
(c) carried out in a safe manner."

If the operators are trained and competent and they are carrying out the same type of operation then a generic lift plan should suffice, however I would suggest regular reminders of the content of the lift plan. They could do this through tool box talks retaining records of attendees and delivery to show compliance.

Paddy
"The more you try to make something idiot proof, the more likely someone is to prove you wrong"
paulmclark

Post by paulmclark »

Thanks Paddy - that's really helpful (only just remembered I'd posted the question!)

Cheers,
Paul
Thunderchild
Twitter: @sjuggins
Industry Sector: Warehouse and Manufacturing

Post by Thunderchild »

Sorry to bring up an old thread but did you crate a template for your lifting plan? I need to do one and only have a template for a tower crane.
julietrvn
Student
Student

Post by julietrvn »

Hi Thunderchild
i have a liftplan for Overhead crane i can send you if you still need it? PM me your email address and i will email you the template.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy