Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Breathing Air Testing

Post by Siblo »

Hi Guys,

Does anyone out there use breathing air systems, air fed masks BA systems etc...?

Looking for guidance on frequency of testing for paint shop set up with air fed masks.

I seem to be reading conflicting info depending on how the air is used.

Thanks
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Re: Breathing Air Testing

Post by Jack Kane »

We have a paint shop and blast booth which all use air fed masks from a compressor.

Maintenance plans for air fed masks should be done by appropriately trained competent people, it goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway for the benefit of all readers.

The plans should be rigorous, frequent and in line with at least the manufacturer's recommendations and specified instructions. I think we use MB Air for ours and they give us a good plan with monthly maintenance, thorough examination and tests of the compressor and all outlets. I think there is a maximum period of three months for examination and testing, but that will be for low frequency use. We use ours all the time.

Keep all records for at least five years and keep in mind that if any of the system fails immediately prior to use or during, it will more than likely be RIDDOR reportable.

The HSE's site has loads on RPE, check that out when updating your risk assessment for maintenance requirements ;)

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Breathing Air Testing

Post by Siblo »

Thanks for the reply Jack,

I've spent half the day reading around this.

The 3 month figure seems to pop up a bit, but I believe it comes from the EN12021 document so is based around european guidance.
https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail ... 0030315779 which is solid guidance... (also used in the breathing gas for divers regs DVIS9)

BUT....

Then I read in the HSE COSHH essentials MR2 "Spraying two-pack....." recommendations of every month. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/mr2.pdf (page 2)

Other guides recommend monthly checks of hoods, visors etc, BUT NOT the air quality.

I'm looking at aiming for monthly checks but the expense will be considerable and don't want to over do it if 3 or 6 monthly checks are sufficient.

The "Health and safety in motor vehicle repair and associated industries" document also uses 3 months as quoted in "COSHH Approved Code of Practice and guidance L5" and yet I can not find the quote.

I know there is never a black and white answer and it depends on the RA, but this much contradiction in guidance is boggling.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy