Get Listed for Free on our New Business Directory

Want greater exposure? Here's a 75% discount code for all paid packages - HSfB17

Letting an employee use our social space

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Chloebtpsm

Letting an employee use our social space

Post by Chloebtpsm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Can anyone help with a query?!

We're letting out our workplace to an employee for her baby shower.

She is using the space only? we're not providing anything and it's during a weekend. There will be 2 children and 17 adults.

Do I need to provide a first aider and firemarshall as technically it's on our premises? And are there any other H&S implications?

Thanks in advance!

caryatid

Re: Letting an employee use our social space

Post by caryatid » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:10 pm

I would say no - it's like hiring a community hall; she is the occupier and is responsible for the safety of her guests. You have a duty to provide the building in a safe condition and provide her with relevant information (how to unlock the fire doors, for instance). If you have a written letting agreement, it would help to clarify this between you.

ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Letting an employee use our social space

Post by ddlh » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:26 pm

I would speak with your business insurer. The "space" is being insured for certain activities - ie. work activities and you have certain work rules that your people are trained to follow - hence the insurance cost.

Not an expect on insurance and it may seem OTT but your insurer should be given the heads up that you propose to use the "space" for other purposes.

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Health, Environment and Risk Training - for all your NEBOSH, IOSH and in-house training. Contact us for excellent consultancy rates

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy