Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

julietrvn
Student
Student

HAV

Post by julietrvn »

hi
we have had a employee diagnosed with HAV. He has only been with us for 3 months and it was picked up at his new starter occupational health visit.
He has informed me that he has suffered the symptoms for 4 years and he has not experienced any worsening of the symptoms whilst employed by us.

Do i still need to make a RIDDOR report due to the fact it was not caused by his employment with us and it has had no effect on him at all?

he does not (nor has he) use any equipment that creates vibration in any form during his employement with us and that will not change.

Thank you
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: HAV

Post by ddlh »

Hi - yes report it under RIDDOR - thats the way I read it and have done so on several occasions.

Beware though that now you are aware of the persons medical issues you need to be seen as managing the situation. ask the employee for a list of previous employers and the type of exposure he received - as that is the type of thing that insurance companies want to know if a claim is submitted.

Speak to your Health provider (if you have one) and ensure regular check ups with his own GP if you dont - and document these. Try and make sure the person is not over exposed to vibration (he can still do light vibrate work as long as it does not cause him any discomfort and pain) - and record the exposure time and the vibration signatures.

Finally the employee must be honest with you and advise you when he feels discomfort or pain - that may be as simple as working in cold weather.

It is a difficult situation and becoming more common nowadays.

A word of warning to employers.
This is the easiest compensation claim going nowadays - if an ex employee accuses a company of exposing them to vibration in the past, the defending company must demonstrate that they managed the exposure and have documented evidence of this. Unfortunately - that is difficult to prove as the threat from vibration was not properly understood over 20 years ago!

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
julietrvn
Student
Student

Post by julietrvn »

thank you Dave, that is very sensible advice and i will be sure to follow it.

I have completed an individual risk assessment on the employee and both he and his manager are in receipt of a copy. It states that any tasks undertaken with a powertool must be limited, monitored and H&S must ensure all information is detailed and recorded. the HSE HAV calculator has been used to ascertain any potential exposure but the employee's contracted role does not require the use of power tools in normal circumstances.

the company does have an occupational health provider, it was during this visit that the condition was highlighted, we then referred him to the occupational physician. he has a repeat appointment in six months time (their recommendation)

I will complete the report tomorrow and i will gain all the information you have recommended from the employee.
Thanks again
Essex

Post by Essex »

Do you require an employee to disclose all medical issues prior to starting work? If so and they never told you I would send them packing.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Hi julietrvn - sounds like you have everything under control :)

Let me know If i can be of any further help

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
julietrvn
Student
Student

Post by julietrvn »

thats a really good point Essex, im guessing it wasnt as the HR department are really good at notifying of anything raised, i will check tomorrow
i LOVE your signature btw :lol:
julietrvn
Student
Student

Post by julietrvn »

thank you Dave lol everyday is a school day at my company just lately
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Essex wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:39 pm Do you require an employee to disclose all medical issues prior to starting work? If so and they never told you I would send them packing.
Great attitude. Someone not to work for.
Essex

Post by Essex »

stephen1974 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:55 pm
Essex wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:39 pm Do you require an employee to disclose all medical issues prior to starting work? If so and they never told you I would send them packing.
Is it fair for a company to bear the cost of this through no fault of their own?
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

Essex wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 pm
stephen1974 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:55 pm
Is it fair for a company to bear the cost of this through no fault of their own?
I think this thread has been blown well out of proportion.

What cost is there?
There is no risk to the company, he will likely be supported by his GP for the condition, you as a company have been made aware of his condition through your diligence, because of that you have identified an issue and you can support him by dealing with the symptoms if any.
The OP has already stated that he will not be exposed to HAV due to his employment so if it gets worse it is likely to be from outside work activities.
The employee may not have considered mentioning it because he will not be in a position where it would affect or be worsened by his job.

Possible breach of the Equalities act to just bin him off, which could work out costly.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

../.

Company fined after exposing workers to Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS)

Date: 4 December 2017

"HSE is reminding companies of the necessity of monitoring workers’ health after a South Wales Housing Association was fined for exposing workers to Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS).

Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard how Charter Housing Association Ltd. reported six cases of HAVS following a health surveillance programme launched in June 2015. The affected employees were all part of the maintenance team."

http://press.hse.gov.uk/2017/company-fi ... rome-havs/

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy