Over 3.5t vehicles for deliveries

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Foolsgold
Student
Student

Over 3.5t vehicles for deliveries

Post by Foolsgold »

Hoping someone can point me into the direction of what would be required should the company I work for start using these type of vehicles for deliveries. I have asked our insurers and waiting for their response but in the mean time can anyone shed some light on this?

I have obtained the CLOCS/FORS guidance from one of our clients just need to collate as much information before the directors start getting ahead of themselves.

We currently have a fleet of transit vans so this is the next progression really..
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Re: Over 3.5t vehicles for deliveries

Post by grim72 »

Not my area of expertise but I'm sure someone will advise shortly. My first point of call would be the http://www.fta.co.uk/ website - they usually have some good guidance and advice available - myabe drop them a line with any specific questions you have?
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Not that I know much about this, but just a wee add-on to your reading material until those in the know come in Foolsgold.
https://www.commercialfleet.org/fleet-m ... ph-/45555/
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
quality_somerset
Industry Sector: Precision Engineering

Post by quality_somerset »

Hi Foolsgold

At 3.5t your vehicle is classified as a light goods vehicle and providing you stay under 3.5t you will not need your drivers to undertake CPC. However if you add a trailer and the weight goes over the 3.5t limit then your drivers will need CPC training.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... eights.pdf

However what you will probably come under is the driving time regulations which will require a tachograph and control of your drivers' hours: sections 3 and 8 explain a bit more:

https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules

Its quite complicated and there are a lot of opt in and outs depending on the speed of the vehicle etc.

From an H&S point of view you will need to look at training, staff suitability, risk assessment (i.e. loading docks), manual handling, driver health monitoring.

Hopefully i have given you a few ideas to think about.

Regards
QS
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

Yep a lot more to worry about when you go over 3.5

Operators *O" license
Tachograph requirements
Drivers hours
Working time directive
Drivers CPC
Transport managers CPC
The transport manager will sign to guarantee all your drivers will abide by the rules.
If you carry waste you will need a waste carrier license (I forget the name).
Managers will need to monitor the Tachograph and ensure the drivers download their cards every day
All infringements must be dealt with promptly
Ensure all vehicles are fit to go out and regular safety checks
Ensure drivers do their safety checks, this must be evident on the tachograph.

You will probably be doing some of these already if you have 3.5's but many will be new, its a whole new level of responsibility.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Foolsgold wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 pm
We currently have a fleet of transit vans so this is the next progression really..
I'd say that this isn't the 'next progression', it's a Quantum Leap.

it's a whole new world of regulation, as described by previous posts, requiring new Driving Test to be passed, etc. Some of your existing Drivers might not pass the test nor meet the other requirements such as medicals.

Are your client premises able to take larger delivery vehicles even?
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

Bernie highlighted another point about the license, some additional problems this will generate.

The drivers will need a C1 license, the likes of me have it by default (grandfather rights) this was stopped a long time ago so younger drivers will need to train for it (more expense).
Most youngsters will opt for HGV training and forget the C1, whats the point training for something that is part way to a proper license when a bit more work will get you a class 1 or 2 and a chance of easier better-paid work.
If you do get them to take the C1, when they have passed they will be able to name their salary because C1 drivers are in short supply (for the above reason), we use a lot of eastern European agency drivers because of short supply, if we lose access to this skills market when we leave the EU this will give more leverage to increase their salary.

They will also need the CPC, this is easy, just 35 hours training every 5 years, but it costs money, you can have the same training course 5 times over, I got mine with 3 x tachograph rules lessons and 2 fuel-efficient driving, it would be just as likely to have 5 x first aid courses.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Steve M wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 am

The drivers will need a C1 license, the likes of me have it by default (grandfather rights) this was stopped a long time ago so younger drivers will need to train for it (more expense).
Yes, the 'grandfathered' C1 for small trucks, awarded on passing the basic car test, ceased on 1 Jan 1997.
So anyone younger than around 38 - 40, depending on when they passed their car test, will need to take a new test (if they haven't already).
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

Its not insurmountable, there are obviously a lot of companies that have done it before and the fact your exploring information from the outset means its definitely achievable for you. It may be wise to do a business plan to understand what is required, by whom and the financial pros & cons - there will without doubt be some set up funding but we have no idea how it may turn to benefit until you check the numbers and the industry/ies your working in.
Your style of business and the loads on larger vehicles may involve some additional policies, procedures and assessments and the roll on that will cause to training of both drivers and other staff.
Understand who in your current staff could manage, supervise, maintain, supervise and drive these vehicles - also consider current driver's entitlements or examine additional training, even new staff.
This is right in my zone of work - by all means PM

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy