Moderator: Moderators

Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Lost Time but how much?

Post by Blackstone »

Morning all,

We had an accident with an employee. He turned his ankle and badly sprained it.
This happened on Monday morning. He was absent for the rest of that week and returned to work on the following Monday, so not a RIDDOR.
As it turns out he came back too soon, went back to doctors on Wednesday and they signed him off for 2 weeks. Due to the return to work, still not a RIDDOR.

For reporting purposes its 4 days LTI (6 days including weekend). But would you then add the 10 days where he has been signed off onto the Lost time for this incident for the monthly report, making 14 days of lost time?

This always gets me confused .scratch

Cheers

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Lost Time but how much?

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
YoungNick
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: CDM - Rail - Telecoms
Attainments: NGC, NCC, FCC, NDIP (H&S), SMSTS - GradIOSH.

Post by YoungNick »

Hi Glen

I think to save any agro or uncertainty, I would report under 7 day RIDDOR as the sick note is also stating to have a further two weeks of due to the injury caused at work. We did this recently.

One thing to keep in mind is if he is not taking the two weeks sick, has he asked for a fit to work note with restricted duties? Can his return and day to day job make his injury any worse and open the business up to any PI claims?

Nick
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

A big thank you to all the members here at HSfB.
Thunderchild
Twitter: @sjuggins
Industry Sector: Warehouse and Manufacturing

Post by Thunderchild »

I would also report as the lost time is due to the accident. The fact that he came back is not an issue but I would note it in the RIDDOR report. This is what I have done in the past.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Blackstone »

Thanks for the replies.

He came back to work on light duties but even the small amount of movement was giving him grief and not allowing the sprain to heel.
He was signed off for 2 weeks and is taking the time to heel. Would certainly get a fit note if he wanted to return before sick note expired.

It makes sense to report but state the circumstances.

Think I probably will report when I return to work next week.

Thanks Nick/Thunderchild ./thumbsup..
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

I would be looking for more information before deciding - if the I P walking across the car park and turned his ankle - Then no reporting.

If it was due to the task the I P was doing and there was a history of these type of incidents then I would report.

If the I P had a history of time off then I wouldn't report.

Your incident investigation should guide you - if you have not thoroughly investigated then you could be opening a real can of worms by reporting and the HSE asking for supporting evidence if you dont have it.

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Blackstone »

ddlh wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:19 pm I would be looking for more information before deciding - if the I P walking across the car park and turned his ankle - Then no reporting.

If it was due to the task the I P was doing and there was a history of these type of incidents then I would report.

If the I P had a history of time off then I wouldn't report.

Your incident investigation should guide you - if you have not thoroughly investigated then you could be opening a real can of worms by reporting and the HSE asking for supporting evidence if you dont have it.

Dave
Hi Dave,

The IP was carrying out a work task.
No history of time off, he is the type of guy we have to push out of the door to go home.
No history of similar accidents. The drain is set into a concrete pad and is 40-50mm below the pad level.

Thanks for your comments ./thumbsup..

I am yet to report btw.

Glen
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Thanks Glen - get a cover over the drain to make it level with the walking area and document this as part of your improvement plan.
This will remove the hazard and offer evidence to any other company that wants to audit you before placing business - and I would not report

Kind Regards

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy