Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Gaining Experience

Post by Safe&Sound »

Hi all,

I was hoping you can help me in regards to a question about the relevance of experience.

Basically I've started my ncrq level 6 diploma and have now temporary (could go full time) become the h&s coordinator at my current employment to help with h&s projects. this role could lead to a h&s manager position for the company however the question I have is;

Is it possible to go from learning h&s then doing projects leading to a h&s manager role with just me in the business doing it full time?

My aim is one day to go into consultancy but feel this will be a good opportunity however I am just concerned that I have no one above me in a senior level to mentor me in h&s to ensure I'm doing things correctly.

So is it possible to be the only one in a h&s role without having a mentor or do i need to go else where and gain experience under a more senior h&s professional?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Thank you
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Gaining Experience

Post by Blackstone »

Hi,

Personally I don't see it as an issue as long as you know your strengths and weaknesses and are able to say to yourself "I am/am not competent on a particular issue".
Where you deem yourself not competent, that's when you need to get outside assistance or ask for help.

Sometimes the best way to learn, is to do it yourself and be thrown in the deep end.

When I came into H&S, I did my NEBOSH General and was mentored for a short while (before mentor retired) then having to fend for myself. As I gained experience I found the way my mentor had run things often was inadequate or non-compliant.

You really need to read and research each subject as it comes up (HAVS, PUWER, LOLER etc) and see if your system is compliant to requirements.
And the industry and company you work for will make a big different on what you need to know... Office... Warehouse... Factory... Refinery... Nuclear...

Hope that helps ./thumbsup..

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Gaining Experience

Post by Safe&Sound »

Glen I appreciate your response and sharing how you started in H&S. I've been somewhat mentored by an external h&s consultant previously but this stopped as I moved departments at the time. Heading back into h&s I'm sure I can pick this back up.

I'm fortunate to be in a business where we have offices, warehouses and factories across the EU.

Appreciate the help :)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy