Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Re: Sexist Signage

Post by AdamJ »

Either I'm getting older or the world is getting crazier. I'd swear people go looking for offence everywhere. More and more people seem unable to distinguish between something they don't agree with (such as something being gender-specific) and something which is 'offensive' and the goal is not only to not be offensive, but also not to hurt anyone's delicate feelings as well as they can't handle that.

Maybe it is just me getting old.
MarcelNav

Post by MarcelNav »

AdamJ wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:54 am Either I'm getting older or the world is getting crazier. I'd swear people go looking for offence everywhere. More and more people seem unable to distinguish between something they don't agree with (such as something being gender-specific) and something which is 'offensive' and the goal is not only to not be offensive, but also not to hurt anyone's delicate feelings as well as they can't handle that.

Yep. People are just looking for any excuse to be offended these days. It's sad.
Last edited by MarcelNav on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

AdamJ wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:54 am Either I'm getting older or the world is getting crazier. I'd swear people go looking for offence everywhere. More and more people seem unable to distinguish between something they don't agree with (such as something being gender-specific) and something which is 'offensive' and the goal is not only to not be offensive, but also not to hurt anyone's delicate feelings as well as they can't handle that.

Unfortunately, the extreme nit picking has done their particular causes no good at all, people are afraid to speak in case they get it wrong, without a training course in correct terminology for gender, race, disability etc people will opt to avoid conversations and forever be ignorant.

We think we have it bad

I had a manager once who went to the states for a holiday, he went to a coffee shop and asked for a black coffee, he was told to restrain from using that kind of language, he told me they got really heated and threatened to have him removed from the shop, his dilemma, could he ask for a white coffee without milk? white was a majority coffee group so probably ok, he played safe and asked for a coffee without milk.
AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Post by AdamJ »

Yes, the States can be tricky...

I used to do a lot of H&S over there and on one session flew to Atlanta, then changed to an internal flight to Charlotte, then drove to the hotel to meet two chaps who I'd asked to do some training courses for me. As far as I was concerned it was about 5am so I walked in, dropped my bag and the first thing I said was 'right, before we do anything I need a coffee and a beer and I could murder a fag'. To say I was misunderstood would be an understatement.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi MarcelNav. :wave:

Welcome aboard. Good to have you with us. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy