Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Healthy&Safe
Student
Student

Cleaner Air

Post by Healthy&Safe »

Hi all

In my business we have a small embroidery room at the end of the warehouse.
it houses 3 large embroidery machines, it is loud, dusty, no windows and has no natural light coming in,
basically a H&S nightmare.

I have recently had a complaint about the amount of dust in the room and am currently looking at ways to resolve this.
I think what the room really needs is a large extractor fan which we will look into getting when the room eventually gets extended.
but for now what can i do to improve the quality of the air?

thing I have suggested so far:
Air purifier - looked into a few of these, they have good reviews but will they be sufficient?
Carpet - theres currently no carpet in there, carpet can catch dust and prevent it flying around
any other ideas?

Thanks
Dodds
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Cleaner Air

Post by Dodds »

Why don't you look at the dust itself and try and capture it rather than putting measures in place to deal with it?
Regular housekeeping, ie. hoovering can be effective if done on a strict regime type basis. We do that in some of our welding environments, after each weld someone will be hoovering the excess dust.
Healthy&Safe
Student
Student

Post by Healthy&Safe »

Im only trying to get rid of the dust due to the nature of the room and what goes on in there I don't think the dust flow can be reduced, It will always be in great supply.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi H and S. You say you will be installing the correct extractors when the room is EVENTUALLY extended. Will this be soon or some months/years away? Either way, have you conducted WEL's tests and are they within the limits set?

You could contact sales reps to come in and demonstrate some of their wares as a temporary measure of control and provide your staff with the last resort of PPE until the new building is completed.

Sounds a dreadful atmosphere to work in.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

Agreed with Alexis, carry out a WEL test.

Perhaps a temporary measure install a portable air conditioning unit, this could reduce the concentration by dilution and filtering the air keeping the workers cool, remember to put in a routine to clean the filters regularly.
Along with normal housekeeping, I assume it is cleaned daily, wouldn't want a build up of fluff hanging around.

I used to repair the computer servers for a high street fashion retailer, they used to draw in the textile dust from the clothing very effectively, I wouldn't recommend a computer that keeps the whole shop operating as a filter by A/C could do the job nicely.
Healthy&Safe
Student
Student

Post by Healthy&Safe »

Thanks for the reply's guys

The plan is to get the extractor fans installed when the room eventually gets extended but I have been hearing about this happening for quite a while now and not much seems to be moving but I'm sure it will get done in the next few months which is why im looking for something temp at the moment.

Sorry im not up to date with the abbreviations, whats a WEL's test? google search didn't throw anything up either.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Healthy&Safe wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:19 am Thanks for the reply's guys

The plan is to get the extractor fans installed when the room eventually gets extended but I have been hearing about this happening for quite a while now and not much seems to be moving but I'm sure it will get done in the next few months which is why im looking for something temp at the moment.

Sorry im not up to date with the abbreviations, whats a WEL's test? google search didn't throw anything up either.
Morning H&S. :wave:

Sorry for not explaining in my original reply. Workplace Exposure Limit (WEL). There is a specific way of testing the air which will provide a definitive outcome level to ensure you are within the limits required of current Regulation. This would be the first thing to do followed by control measures to ensure your staff are safe. There are Consultancies who would do this for you.

Have a look at the following link from the HSE website which will explain. http://www.hse.gov.uk/coshh/basics/exposurelimits.htm

Here is another link to help explain. http://www.hse.gov.uk/textiles/dust.htm

I must say, it is good to see that you have listened to the staff and are trying to do something about it right away. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy