Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

E learning diploma

Post by Lex1212189 »

Afternoon HSfb

Recently finished Nebosh Cert via e learning just awaiting exam results. I am looking at doing the nebosh diploma via e learning. Can anyone recommend any sites to do it with (if allowed to advertise )
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: E learning diploma

Post by bernicarey »

My, my, my, you're in a hurry.
Whilst your passion is to be applauded, as (I'm assuming) you've only just sat your first NEBOSH of any kind, I'd personally wait, take a breath and see how you got on.
For example, you might just scrape a Pass at all 3 elements and gain your NGC, but if this is the case, the leap up to the Diploma might be a struggle.
In such circumstances, you might find doing another certificate first, such as Fire or Construction, might be helpful.

If however you sail through with a high marking Credit or even a Distinction, then the Diploma could be a reasonable bet next.

That said, there's good and bad providers out there (I wouldn't recommend mine if they were the last one standing) and if you search the Forum you'll find quite a few topics relating to finding a Diploma Provider. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Thanks for the response :)

I will use the search function to find topics on diploma providers. Yes Yes I agree with waiting, and if I fail or pass barely, I will resit and then aim for the other certificates before taking the big leap.

Thanks
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

I use Phoenix for my Diploma (advert at bottom of page), they do not do Diploma E-learning, they do it distance learning but they have lots of support modules to download.

They offer good support but you need to ask for it, they have recently taken on new staff who are excellent and very knowledgeable, their Facebook group is consistently bringing up amazing webinars and revision modules, makes a great change from the books.

It's all personal preference but I wouldn't bother doing another certificate, a waste of money when it will be covered in the diploma.

The diploma is very intense it is as you would expect a totally different level.

When I started it I thought there is no chance of me passing, I thought that with the certificate as well, now I am using the knowledge I have gained it is all started to come together, I am less scared.

A little tip that helped me, read the previous exam questions when you start, you are very unlikely to know the answers but you will understand what level you are expecting to learn to and formulate answers as you read the material.

Good luck with your results
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

Steve M wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:21 am It's all personal preference but I wouldn't bother doing another certificate, a waste of money when it will be covered in the diploma.
Well two points there.
If you don't get on very well with the NGC, I think that another certificate is worthwhile to get confidence and also learn more 'NEBOSH'

In addition, from a professional development aspect, the Diploma does not IMHO cover the individual areas, such as Construction or Fire in such depth as the Certificates. I did my Fire and Construction Certificates after my Diploma and found them to be valuable.

For example, the Fire Aspect of the Diploma is elements C2(Fire and Explosion) and C3(Workplace Fire Risk Assessment) which have a total recommended tuition time of just 11 hours.
And come the exams, you might not even get a Fire question.

On the other hand, the Fire Certificate is 70 tuition hours and 55 recommended study hours.....
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Great Replies.

I have taken both replies on board. Completing the certificates first is something I am looking at doing. I have been looking online and I think RRC is my chosen provider.
Mat

Post by Mat »

Lex1212189 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:17 pm Great Replies.

I have taken both replies on board. Completing the certificates first is something I am looking at doing. I have been looking online and I think RRC is my chosen provider.
I went with RRC and they did me fine.

Rather than pure 'distance learning', I did 'blended learning' which gives you a week of classroom based per unit which I found invaluable.

The printed documents were good, everything was also provided on PDF (so you can carry it all about with you on your phone), and they also had a online learning center portal thingy which was nicely interactive (if you like that sort of thing).

I really enjoyed doing the diploma, I hope you do to!
Dodds
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Dodds »

After doing this in a classroom based environment I applaud anyone who manages it either online or distance learning. ../.

I'm not strict enough and get distracted by anything in the slightest when studying as it is, even housework is more appealing...."ooooh this room could be done with a hoover...." *puts books down*
Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Thanks Mat, RRC is the way forward I think.

Dodds, I did my certificate via e learning and did okay. Don't get me wrong, the opportunity with a tutor and instance clarity on something would be a bonus but e learning just fits In with my life better.

I work on the railway 9pm till 5 am every morning. The work is finished by 12am leaving me with 5 hours free time. This was spent on candy crush, watching bullseye on challenge tv or sleeping. I vowed to myself I would do something constructive with this time I was getting. I spent 4 hours a night studying for cert and I am going to take the same approach towards the dip. Cant wait to start :)
Dodds
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Dodds »

Lex1212189 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:09 pm Thanks Mat, RRC is the way forward I think.

Dodds, I did my certificate via e learning and did okay. Don't get me wrong, the opportunity with a tutor and instance clarity on something would be a bonus but e learning just fits In with my life better.

I work on the railway 9pm till 5 am every morning. The work is finished by 12am leaving me with 5 hours free time. This was spent on candy crush, watching bullseye on challenge tv or sleeping. I vowed to myself I would do something constructive with this time I was getting. I spent 4 hours a night studying for cert and I am going to take the same approach towards the dip. Cant wait to start :)
I'm not knocking it, its just something I couldn't personally do. I think its great that people have that self discipline that enables them to take things like this!

Good luck whichever route you take !
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

I don't know anything about RRC, other than that they are one of the 'Big Players' in the game.
I've previously given the link to the providers that are on the MOD's approved list for the Enhanced Learning Credits training scheme, but RRC aren't on there for whatever reason.
I like the site for it's feedback statistics. http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/ ... earch.aspx

Note I have no idea if all of these provide Diploma or whether it is by 'e' or Distance learning; I just searched for NEBOSH. This is a random selection from the list and I have no connection with any of these providers.

For example feedback for the follow providers:
Phoenix = 92% (from 248 evaluation form returns)
RoSPA = 93% (from 63 evaluation form returns)
WATA = 96% (from 118 evaluation form returns)
ATC Risk management = 96% (from 38 evaluation form returns)
AID training = 96% (from 221 evaluation form returns)

The company I used were terrible (at the time the feedback scores weren't public) and I note that their score is currently 77% which is a lot more than I gave them!
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Thanks Dodd for the suppot

Thanks bernicarey for the useful link,

Do you know if all providers offer the course in the sane format? The last provider I went with offered e learning software which had interactive games, presentations, external links. They also sent out the text books. Is this the way most providers offer the course?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy