Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Rochelle
Devil's Playmate
Devil's Playmate

Payments to First Aiders

Post by Rochelle »

Afternoon all.

I did say I would be posting a fair bit so here goes another question.

Is there a legal requirement to reward First Aiders at all or is just down to the discretion of the Company? The reason being is that at previous companies they have been paid but where I am now they aren't?

Thanks again for any advice/help.
fs1982
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Engineering - Welding/Fabrication

Re: Payments to First Aiders

Post by fs1982 »

Hi Rochelle,

No legal requirement to make payments to first aiders it is entirely down to company discretion. If you do make a payment remember that it will be subject to Tax and NI deductions in the same way normal earnings are.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

No requirement at all.

A small reward is nice, but getting free useful training is also nice.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

As already said its not a requirement.

It is however an incentive if you have trouble getting volunteers.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Ours get an extra day's holiday a year!
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

As a FAW Trainer (in addition to all the other things I do) I can categorically say that the vast majority of the companies I've delivered training for do not give any 'reward or remuneration' for the role; the employees simply have it as a skill they use in other areas, such as Sports Teams, Scouts, Guides etc, or just for their own family/personal benefit.
That said, I know of a major retailer that gives their First Aiders an extra 10p per hour, but that is definitely the exception rather than the rule. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Rochelle
Devil's Playmate
Devil's Playmate

Post by Rochelle »

Thanks guys - I was asked the question and there was nothing in the Regulations or ACOPS to say - so I thought I'd throw out here.
safetylady
Student
Student

Post by safetylady »

It originated with public sector bodies, unions and Whitley agreements. Quite historic.
Rochelle
Devil's Playmate
Devil's Playmate

Post by Rochelle »

Just been advised by the MD that it isn't going to happen - but if it isn't a legal requirement so be it!
QHSS
Student
Student

Post by QHSS »

If they dont pay them they will refuse to be first aiders and that will force all supervisors and managers to have it made part of their employment terms and conditions making the supervisors and managers do the first aid cover role, I bet theyd soon start paying the shop floor staff then. What about also paying fire wardens and fire marshalls????
Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Just on the subject.

Can an employee be forced to attend first aid training? The engineering management team in work have decided to appoint 2 first aiders who will attend the 3 day first aid at work course. They will also appoint 1 nominated person in charge of restocking kits and making emergency calls. I believe the intention is for everyone else to go on the half day basic life saving course.

PROBLEM IS......no1 wants to attend. (The course is worth a couple of hundred pound not to mention, gaining an ability in potentially saving someone's life!!! So me personally would bite their hands off for the chance).

My question is....can employees be forced under section 7 of HASAWA? Maybe this is where added payments or extra days A/L could be implemented??
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

OK, so our mantra is...."There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!"

As being a First Aider is not an Attendance Course, but one with assessment by practical demonstration and question paper, there is no possible way you can force somebody to complete it; all they have to do is fail the assessment and there's nothing you can do about it.
They may be totally the wrong temperament for it.

'Wa'd ya mean it don't hurt much, that's an awful mess, I recon you're gonna loose that hand'.

You could have it in their Job description when you recruit them, but you can't force it on an existing employee.

They will also appoint 1 nominated person in charge of restocking kits and making emergency calls.
Well that's a load of Hogwash, what about when that person is on leave or other absence; 'Oh sorry we can't restock the First Aid Kit, Jill is on hoilday in Benidorm for 2 weeks'... or how about "Does anyone know how to call an ambulance, Jill's gone to lunch"
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy