Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Dodds
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Hi-vis

Post by Dodds »

Hey all.
Quick question, we had a visit from the HSE last week, which went quite well although we have some actions we require to take relating to workplace transport and our lack of hi-vis.
Currently our guys wear blue coveralls with the reflective stripes, now the stripes aren't classed as high-vis which I didn't really know.
We were going to go with the yellow split coveralls, blue bottom, yellow top, but because our main operation is welding, the yellow reflects the welding and can cause burns. Another way to do this is orange coveralls. My question being, is orange classed as high-vis? I'm sure it is, but you never know.
All input welcome ../.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Hi-vis

Post by bernicarey »

Well I think you'll find Network Rail and the ORR think it is.... ;)

it's come up some years back: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20825

Equally, the HSE's own website : http://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetranspor ... othing.htm

However, since that topic in 2009 the actual BS/ISO/EN standard number changed (back in 2013) although much, including the colours, remains the same.
A good little guide here:
http://www.towersupplies.com/resources/ ... 0Sheet.pdf
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Dodds
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Dodds »

Cheers, good links, that confirms my thinking also.

.bounce clapclap
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Don't forget that you can do a Risk Assessment and balance out the need for Hi-Viz outside, with the need for proper welders overalls to do the job.

Don't let some HSE Inspector who has a pet thing about Transport Safety put your workforce at increased risk from your Welding activities.
If it's all documented in a 'suitable and sufficient' Risk Assessment.....

There's a good article here about, in effect, H&S professionals sometimes needing to keep the HSE 'proportionate' in their requirements:
https://www.ioshmagazine.com/article/be ... uthorities

If you're not out on the 'Highway' then there's not really anything stopping you using other colours. ;)
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Dodds
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Dodds »

I agree with what you state, it was a relevant finding to be fair although the way they come across is that your worksafe is the unsafest in the world, we had 3 breaches which were applicable and i agreed with to an extent, had there been no 'fee for intervention' would there have been as much focus on those 3, i very much doubt it.

And a note to all, don't try and joke with the HSE about anything, they aren't exactly known for their sense of humour and this was indeed confirmed.
quality_somerset
Industry Sector: Precision Engineering

Post by quality_somerset »

Hi Dodds

As Berni states the key will be to risk assess. I think in reality you will have trouble in providing hi viz for welders, namely trying to find something that is: flame retardant, doesn't produce welding glare off reflective strips and has a reasonable life span. An orange overall would be unlikely to meet the requirements of EN471:2003, and even if it did (if your welders are anything like my welders) then they would be dirty and torn within a few days.

Think you will have to look at pedestrian zones/walkways etc

QS
Dodds
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Dodds »

Hey QS, i'm with you on that also, walkways etc being worked on now :wave:

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy