bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: NCRQ vs NVQ vs NEBOSH

Post by bernicarey »

QHSS wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 pm The Nebosh is the Rolex my friend,
To a point, but quite frankly, it depends why you are seeking a higher level qualification.
If it's just to get a certain membership level of an organisation e.g. GradIOSH, then once you've done that, what does it matter. You're just going to tell an employer you're GradIOSH.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

David68
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @Dyer0145
Industry Sector: manufacturing

Post by David68 »

I have studied with NEBOSH and am now 2/3 of the way through the NCRQ Diploma and for me there is no contest. The NCRQ is far more like real life and relevant to how I work every day
Grad IOSH - Tick
CMIOSH - one day! ../.
hardhat

Post by hardhat »

QHSS wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 pm The Nebosh is the Rolex my friend,
Interesting analogy. Well known and hideously expensive but doesn't do anything more than tell the time??

I prefer the vaccuum cleaner analogy. NEBOSH is the Hoover, been around for years with no competition, everyone has one. And then along comes the Dyson / NCRQ, which offers people something innovative and more suited to their needs and takes the market by storm....
QHSS
Student
Student

Post by QHSS »

I find that most people who take the "Other " routes because they cant pass the Nebosh Diploma.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

QHSS wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:34 am I find that most people who take the "Other " routes because they cant pass the Nebosh Diploma.
Oh! Don't think this can be a justifiable conclusion Q! Certainly isn't what I have found to be the case judging by my dealings with this forum and communications with our members etc. over the past 13 years. ;)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by abarnett »

QHSS wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:34 am I find that most people who take the "Other " routes because they cant pass the Nebosh Diploma.
Have to politely disagree... I went down the NCRQ route and it was solely a cost consideration. There are a myriad of reasons for people to study in the ways they do and i don't think it's fair to generalise in this way.

Andy
Safety doesn't happen by accident
AdamUK
Student
Student

Post by AdamUK »

All three ways have pros and cons and all three deserve exactly the same amount of respect.

I know safety professionals who have done NEBOSH dip and recently finished NCRQ Dip, and preference was NCRQ. Everyone's learning style is different and for me, NCRQ was the way I went.

For people who say NCRQ is the easy route - if only you could see the final assignment! You are allowed 6 weeks to complete it, and believe me, it will take me right up to the 6 week deadline ,and thats having a week and a half annual leave to complete it also!

I have done NEBOSH cert, and I will openly say I much prefer NCRQ way of learning, not because it is easier - quite the opposite, but it gives you the opportunity to study at your own pace, and no looming exams with months of waiting to hear about results.

Regards
Adam
RichieC

Post by RichieC »

I am new to this site and looks like lots of good insights into people's experiences. I completed NCRQ after NEBOSH and I can wholeheartedly agree with the others here. There is really no comparison, despite NCRQ not being class based, it is a bit like the difference between being taught directly in a class (possibly by a rubbish teacher) and being given freedom to research for a dissertation in university and having to draw your own conclusions. It is much more formative, engaging and valuable for me than NEBOSH. NEBOSH seems to be a bit of a little boys club, and they have no interest in developing for the 21st century, it had me literally bored to tears to the point I was going to quit. I am now working for a large blue chip organisation as a pragmatic and progressive EHS, not 'because' of NCRQ, but it fitted in with my modern outlook. This shouldn't be about memorising legislation/regulations, it is about removing risk is an practical fashion, and you learn how to do that via real-life scenarios. The only people I have seen that have done both NEBOSH and NCRQ prefer NCRQ quite strongly, perhaps NEBOSH lovers feel somewhat threatened, it's all quite strange.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Hi RichieC. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB. Good to have you aboard. .salut

Thank you for your input to this post. :D

AdrianB66

Post by AdrianB66 »

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd add my thoughts on this. I completed NCRQ Level 6 Certificate in Applied Health and Safety a couple of months ago, and it helped me get a job as a consultant (I have had previous health and safety experience). As I'd been made redundant from my last job, I panicked and signed up for NEBOSH Gen Cert thinking it had better recognition, but I started as an employed consultant before the course started. The course provider wouldn't refund my deposit as I wanted to cancel, but allowed me to change to NEBOSH Construction instead. I'm 4 weeks in, and I hate it. Constant reading of legislation which I know, but struggle to recite. Trying to understand the NEBOSH questions. Revising every night to learn it all to be able to pass an exam, but nothing I would ever quote to a client. Then the stress of the exam itself. Outmoded and outdated.
The NCRQ was a joy. It was interesting, gave me opportunity to study, and really made me think. And the assignments are tough, but the tutors are there to guide. Definitely the way forward. Once I'm done with NEBOSH, I'll finish the other 2 units for the Diploma. If I pass, that's GradIOSH level. No client/colleague will ever ask you to quote the legislation off the top of your head, but will ask for advice and will be happy if you get back to them. That's real life, and NCRQ is much better suited for it.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

AdrianB66 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:36 am Hi everyone. Just thought I'd add my thoughts on this. I completed NCRQ Level 6 Certificate in Applied Health and Safety a couple of months ago, and it helped me get a job as a consultant (I have had previous health and safety experience). As I'd been made redundant from my last job, I panicked and signed up for NEBOSH Gen Cert thinking it had better recognition, but I started as an employed consultant before the course started. The course provider wouldn't refund my deposit as I wanted to cancel, but allowed me to change to NEBOSH Construction instead. I'm 4 weeks in, and I hate it. Constant reading of legislation which I know, but struggle to recite. Trying to understand the NEBOSH questions. Revising every night to learn it all to be able to pass an exam, but nothing I would ever quote to a client. Then the stress of the exam itself. Outmoded and outdated.
The NCRQ was a joy. It was interesting, gave me opportunity to study, and really made me think. And the assignments are tough, but the tutors are there to guide. Definitely the way forward. Once I'm done with NEBOSH, I'll finish the other 2 units for the Diploma. If I pass, that's GradIOSH level. No client/colleague will ever ask you to quote the legislation off the top of your head, but will ask for advice and will be happy if you get back to them. That's real life, and NCRQ is much better suited for it.
Hello AdrianB66. :wave: Welcome aboard and many thanks for posting your own personal views on your preferred study. It all goes to help others make informed decisions. .salut

pmbl
Student
Student

Post by pmbl »

Hi
Just finished my L6 Diploma NCRQ. I got distinctions in every assignment. I genuinely dont think I could have done this with Nebosh. The NCRQ not only suited my learning style but I genuinely feel equiped for the "real world" as I had to not only write presentations and reports but demonstrate I understood and could apply what I was learning. It also helps you learn where to look and what to look at rather than learning text word for word. The response from my colleagues has been very positive to this approach. Just my thoughts. I wish you well in whichever one you choose.
Kind regards

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy