Moderator: Moderators

abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Re: NCRQ vs NVQ vs NEBOSH

Post by abarnett »

There's something I've had to deal with this week that made me think of this post....

I've had to explain to a regional director why he can't let a branch manager do something and explain the H&S legislation in an accessible format. Even though I've had 8 years of trade union experience of dealing with line managers that want to do stupid stuff, it's different when you are part of that management team... :lol: I actually felt, while I was writing the email to the RD that I was actually doing a NCRQ assignment - definitely not a skill set you'll learn from NEBOSH...

*edit to remove a typo ( I'm good, not god!)
Safety doesn't happen by accident
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

I wonder NEBOSH strategy?!

On a tweet today:
NCRQ Diploma - now the most popular Health and Safety Diploma in the UK!
Qualifications for the real world
*More learners enrolled in the NCRQ Diploma than the NEBOSH Diploma.

Source: https://twitter.com/NCRQ_UK

and I saw a couple days ago:
http://www.cmi-ireland.com/blog/cmi-blo ... pass-rates
RichieC

Post by RichieC »

Joao, i was just jumping on here to say the same thing! NCRQ claimed that they are now the most popular Diploma in the UK (H&S).this really surprised me, however i understand why that is the case. i didnt expect that they would achieve such a presence so quickly. i guess it is a true reflection of the undercurrent of dissatisfaction with NEBOSH as much as anything (though apparently 98% of students would recommend it, lol!) Competition is healthy. Would like to know what peoples thoughts are on this :D
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

The blog is interesting. Those pass rates are very low. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of pass rates for those who attend a course and those who attempt distance learning.
kenney76
Student
Student

Post by kenney76 »

I'm currently working my way towards the NCRQ diploma, at times I've found it difficult not having a "person" there to bounce questions off, but having said that the tutors I've spoken to on the phone have been absolutely fantastic and extremely knowledgeable (and patient!)

Me personally I looked at NCRQ and NEBOSH, I'm 41 with two kids under 5 so NEBOSH was never really an option as I would find it hard to commit to a college, NCRQ distant learning is perfect, especially when I want to escape the madness of the house!

The other thing I like about the NCRQ course, you 'do' things, you complete risk assessments, you reply to emails as if that was already your profession etc which in my opinion teaches me real skills that I would use once employed within Health and Safety.

I guess whichever route you choose, as long as it suits you, is good. But for me its NCRQ every time, its enjoyable, eye opening and most of all interesting.

Just my opinion

K
David68
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @Dyer0145
Industry Sector: manufacturing

Post by David68 »

I have just passed the NCRQ Diploma (pending the validation interview) and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is taxing, challenging and completely based in the real world.

It has taken a little longer than I originally anticipated but that is the benefit of the NCRQ Diploma, it is done at your pace and here is no pressure from the training provider to get it done. The assessment criteria are clearly identified and it gives you the opportunity to assess for yourself before submission and I have used the criteria to assess my own work before I send it to my MD.

What is next for me, well I will be working towards CMIOSH and then I plan to do my Masters. I am only 50 so plenty of life left in the old dog yet
Grad IOSH - Tick
CMIOSH - one day! ../.
RichieC

Post by RichieC »

Guys, I have written a piece on my own blog about this quandary and my experience of both NCRQ/NEBOSH here at http://safeti.co.uk/2017/11/21/nebosh-or-ncrq/ .Hopefully it can help people towards the better choice for them.
Most of my own sentiments seem to be replicated by those who have tried the NCRQ route on this forum. Cheers and good luck!
Impjimbo

Post by Impjimbo »

Hi all, interesting thread and blog, thank you. Question- when applying for health and safety jobs do employers treat NCQR the same as NEBOSH? I don't want to do NCQR if it doesn't help me to find work in the field. I have over 4 years experience of working in health and safety but no NEBOSH only IOSH.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi Impjimbo. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB. :D
Impjimbo wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:15 am Hi all, interesting thread and blog, thank you. Question- when applying for health and safety jobs do employers treat NCQR the same as NEBOSH? I don't want to do NCQR if it doesn't help me to find work in the field. I have over 4 years experience of working in health and safety but no NEBOSH only IOSH.
This is a question I personally have no proof of either way sadly.
I would say that with your experience, this is a major plus when seeking H&S positions. Your IOSH (assuming it is the Managing Safely course) will help when applying for jobs, but the word NEBOSH is, as far as I am aware, the so-called magic work (along with your experience), that will gain the interview.

If you had not had any experience, then I would have suggested a preference of NCRQ, but with your experience....hmm. Not much help sorry.

Why not contact NCRQ directly and ask them if they have any statistics yet people gaining employment after completing their courses? Also, I would be very grateful if you could post in here with their reply if possible? This would help others with the same dilemma. Thank you Impjimbo. .salut

Look forward to hearing what you decide and then following your study journey. :D
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy