NEBOSH or NCRQ

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

AllanB81

NEBOSH or NCRQ

Post by AllanB81 »

Hi, looking to get 'off the tools' and progress into a safety aspect role, looking at courses obviously I know and have heard about NEBOSH but NCRQ has been brought to my attention.
First question.
Which is best route? I can read and write, I absorb information and recall it extremely well. Communication with people comes naturally. Not afraid to get my hands dirty in a pratical sense.
Second
To start studying which is the best NEBOSH course to take NGC?

Thanks in advance
laura81

Re: NEBOSH or NCRQ

Post by laura81 »

Hi Allan,

I'm doing NCRQ at the moment - definitely the right decision for me. It's a really excellent way of learning by analysing case studies, and the assignments reflect the skills you will need - actually doing risk assessment, root cause analysis, accident investigation, preparing reports for the board, and in the second unit actually creating and presentation and script (you don't need to present it though!). Importantly you get a dedicated tutor, and they really know their stuff - they all are ex-HSE or safety managers - not the career trainers that you can get with some of the NEBOSH providers.

Of course different people learn in different ways, and maybe prefer an exam based approach. I did a lot of research before making a decision, and I also haven't directly experienced NEBOSH. I guess it is really down to you personal preference - NCRQ certainly seem to be proving very popular.

I'm sure others will have differing views - but just thought I'd offer mine, if it helps!

Best of luck with whatever route you decide.
AllanB81

Post by AllanB81 »

Thanks laura81
How are you doing the course, distance learning, block learning or day release learning. It's good to hear the way your being taught. Best of luck with it all.
laura81

Post by laura81 »

With NCRQ it is all self-directed learning. You get a workbook that you work through that guides your studies, and lots of online resources and activities, with an active student forum for chatting with other students and tutors. Because your tutor is available in the evenings and weekends (and normally responds within minutes! - don't think mine has a life!!) you are not left on your own. I've actually made some nice virtual "friends" through their student forum.
AllanB81

Post by AllanB81 »

Sounds a good way of learning, could you PM me who your doing your course through please
sgtwill
Student
Student

Post by sgtwill »

I did the NCRQ after i did NEBOSH exams i only got a pass on 1 unit of the NEBOSH exams and it was 3 ,4 month wait for next exams plus think my writing was not the easiest to under stand on my NEBOSH papers
so I did the NCRQ certificate
its all pc based no hand writing needed.

out of the two In my opinion I would say the NCRQ is better for people who can distance learn online in their spare time etc.

NEBOSH at the moment is more popular on job listings but I think NCRQ will get there soon
I have seen increase on reed, total jobs etc of NCRQ or NEBOSH required
Which is good as company are recognising the NCRQ
I am job hunting myself so I look daily.

you can log on the NCRQ site any time 24/7
you send assignments off they take about 2 weeks to mark but the marker gives you loads of information when marked..

while studying the cert you can get student membership of IIRSM you just send them a copy of enrolment email.

once passed you can get Associate membership of CIEH, IIRSM AND Tech IOSH depending on experience with NCRQ certificate.

Hope that helps

will :)
AWins
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by AWins »

Hi AllanB81, :wave:

I myself was "on the tools" whilst studying for the NEBOSH NGC via distance learning and found it tough going. I was doing a 10 hour shift then going home on a night time to study for 2-3 hours every night which was tough going on not only myself but my GF too. Aswell as trying to keep some sort of social life (gym, football etc)

Going forward I think I will be looking at the NCRQ Dip as I am now working full time in a safety role.

Once I had the qualification I was going home and applying for 20-30 jobs every night so that too was time consuming.

I secured a job in just over 4 months though so it was all worth it! .cheers clapclap

Best of luck mate!

P.S as people have said the NEBOSH is listed on nearly every job advert so may be the best qualification to try and get "your foot in the door" so to speak.
dingle
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Furniture manufacture

Post by dingle »

Hi AllanB81

I am currently doing my NEBOSH via distance learning and it is some tough work, as others have said working and fitting all the revising and self study required for NEBOSH is a tough task.

i am fortunate that i got offered a safety role at my company along with the chance to gain the safety qualification, we looked into all quals at the time but the NCRQ was not available when we first looked at the company when they looked again were worried that it would not gain the approval and recognition and therefore would have wasted my time. now after reading on the forums i wish i had waited a bit and gone this route NEBOSH is great but i am not the greatest at massive data recall, but having been like yourself on the tools for most of my working life i find myself able to problem solve.

as I am currently employeed in a H&S role i think i would have managed the NCRQ better than i have the NEBOSH (I failed NGC1 by 4 marks earlier this year) as i would be able to relate the case studies to real life scenarios that i come across and use my experience to help. after NEBOSH i am looking at doing the NCRQ diploma.

hope that helps you a little
Bindo
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Food Manufacture

Post by Bindo »

Allan,

If you google NCRQ it's currently only available direct from them.

I'd not put too much weight behind the "NEBOSH on every job advert" argument. the NCRQ Cert and Diploma are recognised by IOSH and IIRSM as equivalent (or better) than NEBOSH, if you put that on your covering letter, and opening statement on your CV, you should be in with as much of a shout as a NEBOSH qualified person. Any employer which dictates NEBOSH only probably isn't an employer i'd wish to work for.

I scored 1 job earlier this year, that was advertised as "NEBOSH or equivalent", which i had to politely decline as i have been awarded the Health, Safety and Environmental Manager's role on an interim basis on site here after our HSE manager left, My only relevant qualifications are Level 6 Certificate in Applied Health and Safety (NCRQ) and Level 6 certificate in Personal Injury Liability and Absence Reduction (NCRQ), which form 2/3rds of the diploma (which i will be continuing with and hopefully acheive before my interim stint comes to a conclusion)

I''ve made the shortlist for the HSE Managers job as a permanent role, so fingers crossed that goes well.

the NCRQ is a very modern way of learning, and you learn actual skills due to the coursework, you are not just cramming for an exam!

It's also worth noting that the NCRQ route enables you to gain membership levels all the way up to CMIOSH and MIIRSM should you wish to follow that path.

If you can, i'd join IOSH as an affiliate member immediately, and get involved in the local meetings, there are loads of chances to do a bit of networking too and get your name out there.

Good Luck!

Bindo.
markspark7
Student
Student

Post by markspark7 »

I've just done Nebosh ngc and now doing NCC & NFC . I've already paid to do Nebosh diploma by distance learning however I 'm going to do the NCRQ instead as I feel it fits in better with current role.

My be a cheap(er) Nebosh dip course going soon.. ;) ;) if I can transfer names cheap enough.
RussHealth&Safety
Student
Student

Post by RussHealth&Safety »

I have been reading many post on the forum regarding NCRQ, and for me a practical learner I really like what I'm reading from people currently doing the NCRQ course, I am waiting for my nebosh general certificate results, and then I'm doing the NCRQ health & safety diploma.
AllanB81

Post by AllanB81 »

ok so after some family issues I started my NCRQ cert in Applied Health and Safety in Jan this year.
PASSED with Merit the HSD1 module in May.

now need to apply for a job

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy