NCRQ Diploma in Applied Health & Safety

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Stevied10
Industry Sector: Construction

NCRQ Diploma in Applied Health & Safety

Post by Stevied10 »

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a bit of advice from the knowledgeable people on this excellent forum. Have any of you guys gone down the NCRQ Diploma route? Is it the equivalent to NEBOSH that it claims to be? Do employers view it as a proper qualification? etc. I'm considering going down this route as it ticks a lot of boxes that the NEBOSH Diploma doesn't, such as no exams, paying for it a section at a time to name a few but I don't want to do it if no employer really acknowledges it and as such I still can't get a H&S job despite having it.

Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated and go a long way to helping me decide if it is worthwhile doing or not.

Regards

Stevie
Extankman

Re: NCRQ Diploma in Applied Health & Safety

Post by Extankman »

Hi Stevie,

I can't say I have a great deal of knowledge on both to be honest....I should re-start my diploma studies as I have paid for it :)

but I am seeing more and more job adverts now with NEBOSH DIP/NCRQ or equivalent on them, so it appears that its getting out there.

I know a lot of people will say that NEBOSH Dip is still kind of the industry standard due to its renowned status but I guess its really down to you as you are the one taking it and paying for it, and believe me if I hadn't already used funding to pay for a diploma, I'd be already doing the NCRQ qualification :)

Good luck which ever study route you decide to take

Daz
Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid
Stevied10

Post by Stevied10 »

Thanks for the reply Daz, I have researched it quite a lot and it seems the way to go for me, but I haven't seen a lot of job adverts that mention it so I don't really know how the industry views it at this point in time.
Extankman

Post by Extankman »

I think it will take time to be honest, but the positives are that IOSH and IIRSM acknowledge this qual as being fine for CMIOSH and the equivalent IIRSM membership, assuming you do the full diploma course that is :)
Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid
laura81

Post by laura81 »

Hi Stevie,

I have nearly finished the first NCRQ Certificate, and will definitely be enrolling on the full NCRQ Diploma. I had the same concerns as you, but rang up some of the safety recruitment agencies that were not referring to NCRQ to ask their opinion - they all said that they would consider it in the same way as NEBOSH. The NCRQ Student Support Forum (that you get access to as part of the course) has several people talking about how they used it to get jobs, with a few saying that they got the job over NEBOSH candidates because of the NCRQ qualification.

Can highly recommend it as a very challenging, fun and rewarding method of study. Seriously, you will never have thought that two words (reasonably practicable) can involve so much time and thought to study!!

Laura
Jonah06

Post by Jonah06 »

Hi Stevie,

As someone who has done NEBOSH and is now doing the NCRQ, I can tell you that I have gained a much better understanding from the NCRQ.

I'm just working my way through the first part of the NCRQ, the level 6 Cert in principles of health and safety. This is supposedly equivalent to the NEBOSH General Cert, but from what I have done so far, I can definitely say that the NCRQ Cert is much better. I think more and more are beginning to realise this now as well. I feel a lot more confident in my own ability from it, than I did from the NEBOSH General.

What I will say though, is that if you are looking for an easier option, then I can assure you that the NCRQ is anything but. I'm finding it much more challenging (which is expected, as it's a higher level). The assignments really get your cogs turning and you have to put a lot of work in to get through them. But where something is more challenging, the rewards are much greater.

Hope this help a bit,

Jonah.
Stevied10

Post by Stevied10 »

Hi Laura & Jonah,
thanks for the input, it's much appreciated. You've certainly helped make up my mind whether to do it or not. I like the idea of being able to pay for each part separately as you can be saving for part two whilst doing part 1 etc. I also think having no exams would help me too as sometimes I think people (me included) learn things 'parrot fashion' straight from the book just to pass the exams but have no real understanding of what they have read. Whereas it seems the NCRQ gives a better understanding to things.

I was probably always going to go down the NCRQ route i think but the fact that I didn't know how the qualifications were viewed made me a bit hesitant but all you guys that have taken the time to reply have certainly helped ease my concerns. This is why this forum is so great, people take time out to help others out with any questions or problems they have.

Thanks everyone, I'm away to start saving up for part two :wave:

Stevie

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy