Talking about Mental Health

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Talking about Mental Health

Post by jonsi »

Did anyone else see the BBC programme All in the Mind in which Only Men Aloud Musical director discussed his Mental Health, his breakdown and his stay in hospital under psychiatric supervision?

A painfully frank account of how Tim Rhys-Evans was finally broken by his depression leading him to some very, very dark places. If you've not experienced mental illness like Depression or Anxiety his account will open your eyes. Lots of what he said resonated with me and I am only thankful that I didn't get as far down to those dark places as he did. There but for the Grace of God...

If you didn't see it I urge you to do so. He (and others) have started the conversation ...keep talking about it. It won't go away but the stigma attached to it will if we all acknowledge and discuss it openly and honestly.

I, and those closest to me, suffered my Depression but I am recovering now and, whilst it is not something I am proud of, I'll be (insert naughty word here) if I'm going to be ashamed of it!

Jonsi
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Talking about Mental Health

Post by Waterbaby »

jonsi wrote: If you didn't see it I urge you to do so. He (and others) have started the conversation ...keep talking about it. It won't go away but the stigma attached to it will if we all acknowledge and discuss it openly and honestly.
Jonsi
Thanks Jonsi ./thumbsup.. - I did not see it but possibly only shown on BBC Wales?

Here's the Iplayer link ( 28 days left to watch, 45 minutes ) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075f78j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
dekomp
Student
Student

Post by dekomp »

Its right that people should be discussing Mental Health Jonsi, I was diagnosed with nervous Exhaustion several years ago!
Fortunately my doctor intervened after I suffered a collapse with a suspected heart attack, he said I was lucky my body had used a self defence mechanism and just simply shut down, People especially in high responsibility positions just get on with it and fail to see the symptoms they themselves are exhibiting . We see it others but fail to recognise in ourselves .
I like you am not ashamed of it , awareness is the key.
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

I'm about to settle in and watch that programme Jonsi, thanks for the heads up and for starting this topic to get us all Talking about Mental Health.

Whilst on the subject, it turns out that the way I've been feeling for the last 30 ish years has been labelled as Bipolar II. Who knew!? Not me, it was just my 'normal'...whatever that is or was. One day things got pretty rubbish and I asked a doctor for a bit of help, which has led to a roller coaster journey over the past four years of understanding my new 'normal'. Still not there yet. Normal will never be normal again. I don't think it even exists.

You may have noticed my new signature on the forums? I am embracing the HSE's Helping Great Britain work well strategy (http://www.hse.gov.uk/strategy/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and will be raising awareness on several issues, but a significant focus on mental health is where my heart is right now.

I am in a very fortunate position right now where I can use this site as a platform for keeping the conversation going. I encourage you all to do the same in whatever way you feel you can. It could even be to simply read the comments, take in the message, keep a look out for people and start your own conversation in your own daily life.

It's time to delete the stigma attached to mental health and time to ask those around you...how are you feeling today?

p.s., this was surprisingly easy to write, I thought it would be much harder. The hardest part was actually clicking the submit button!

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

Jack Kane wrote:I'm about to settle in and watch that programme Jonsi, thanks for the heads up and for starting this topic to get us all Talking about Mental Health.

I am in a very fortunate position right now where I can use this site as a platform for keeping the conversation going. I encourage you all to do the same in whatever way you feel you can. It could even be to simply read the comments, take in the message, keep a look out for people and start your own conversation in your own daily life.

It's time to delete the stigma attached to mental health and time to ask those around you...how are you feeling today?

p.s., this was surprisingly easy to write, I thought it would be much harder. The hardest part was actually clicking the submit button!
Just watched the programme - absolutely excellent clapclap clapclap

When Jonsi posted this am - found this site on internet search https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is funded by Dept of Health, Comic Relief and the Lottery.

Topics include : "Bring Time to Change to your workplace" ,"Employer Pledge" and "Take the mental health quiz" ( answers might surprise you ./thumbsup.. )

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Well done to those here who are talking openly about MH issues as it is now time to break the stigma and 'allow' people the same status as those with a medical.condition.

I have been involved in mental health from the other side, that is volunteering for the Samaritans and Mind, plus working for four NHS MH Trusts.

Plus Mrs Messy is Psychoanalyst so I feel very strongly that the idea of 'it couldnt happen to me' is broken and MH awareness is increased

So well done for your bravery and openess
unisafeoff

Post by unisafeoff »

I have had mental health issues for many years and at times been in some very dark places, those who know me recognise it, understand and know what to say, what not to say and understand where I am.

Note the use of the word understand. It is an important word.

My daughter has mental health issues and at one time in a meeting with her school in response to someone making the statement " All staff at the school have had mental health awareness training" , said "I am not bothered whether they are aware, I want them to ******* understand".

At a recent conference we went to the emphasis was on promoting understanding, it was not run by professionals it was run by people with mental health issues and was by far the most rewarding that we have attended.

Winston Churchill had depression and referred to it as his Black Dog. If you get the chance there are a couple of books I had a Black Dog & Living with a Black Dog. They convey more about depression and living with depression in text and drawings than many other books do.

If you do not have depression do not just be aware try and understand, if you do have depression just talk to people, the vast majority do want to understand

http://matthewjohnstone.com.au/courses/ ... black-dog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Alexis on Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thank you. Just adding a link to the Author.
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

Its not easy to understand unless you have been there.

I have been there and this helps me in my day to day work.

What I would suggest you do is if you have other forums you use bring it up there.

I am a member of a Saab owners forum and the topic of aspergers was brought up on there in the coffee bar, have a read it is a real eye opener, a/ how common it is and b/ how supportive and non judgemental the members are, this is an easy way to help you understand this part of mental health.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic. ... =aspergers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CMO
Student
Student

Post by CMO »

I haven't seen the programme but a great topic. No one should be ashamed of this. I myself struggle with the demons , have watched good friends die. The more said on this topic the better. There is greatness in all of us but at times it hard to see light at the end of the tunnel.
It's great to see this as topic for discussion. Good for you Jonsi
clapclap
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

I'd like to share something in the hope it helps some sort of understanding for us all.

For the past 8 months (ish), I've found myself in a fairly dark place and confused as to why my medication seemed to have stopped working. That confusion is not healthy! I was left wondering if the medication needs changing or if my condition was getting worse and could maybe be untreatable. What I didn't realise was that I was going through a depression cycle completely separate from my original diagnosis. So, two conditions on the go at the same time.

Awesome :roll:

With the amazing support and caring from Mrs K and my family, they helped nudge me towards asking the doctor for help. This ended up with a new consultation with a psychiatrist who explained what was happening with this cycle. From then, she clearly separated the cycle from my long-term illness and has begun treating that as a text book depression cycle, i.e. a change of anti-depressants. Next steps are to look at the bigger picture, there's plenty of time.

The key thing for me here is the terminology she used to help me understand. Recognising that my long-term illness is still there and this 8 month episode isn't my 'normal', she simply asked me when I started feeling different from how I usually feel. She didn't ask about my 'normal' feelings. That to me is critical because I've spent a huge part of my life trying to figure out what 'normal' is.

Normal is a rubbish word!

So, I think that makes sense. .scratch

If not, I'll get back to you on that because that's about as far as I've gotten in understanding it myself :lol:

The further I go on my own journey, the more fascinating I find myself! :lol:

Things are looking good though, it's good to talk. :D

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Glad to hear you are getting the help you are needing ;)

I too dislike the word 'normal' anyone that says but it is normal, I say "Define Normal"

Onwards and upwards Jack

bighug

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
AdyShaw
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Farming

Post by AdyShaw »

Far too many suffer in silence, or are too proud to ask for help, and then it becomes too late.

It was only when I had a complete break down at work that I realised just how bad I was, and then going to see the GP with my wife I finally opened up and scared the brown stuff out of her as I described the thoughts of self harm that I had been having for a long time!

I know ex service friends are in the same boat as I am, and worryingly they are all chefs too...... but at least we can talk to each other and help one another get through the dark days.

Just the ability to talk is an amazing thing, and all of my friends know my phone is never off, we can talk to each other even at daft o clock in the morning. And I know my wife is always there, but there are just some things I still can not tell her :(
Ady Shaw

Wherever you are, never forget where you came from and what you fight for

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy