Moderator: Moderators

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Use of Stanley Knives

Post by bernicarey »

It also has to be remembered that using a utility knife to remove cable insulation risks damaging the conductor, possibly cutting some strands if doing it on flexible multi-strand cable, so it is bad trade practice. There are plenty of cable strippers on the market.
Whilst I would not support the tone of the message the college are giving, there are probably a valid collection of facts that indicate not using a utility knife is a good trade practice to teach a young apprentice. Despite his workplace mentor still using one. It might be a time to review the working practices of the mentor.

Because I was an aircraft electrical engineer, we had to complete periodic cable termination samples that went for testing; this not only served as a spot check on the tooling we were using, it checked our standards of workmanship. Submitting a sample with any cut strands would usually result in you getting put on a refresher course.
.salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

YoungNick
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: CDM - Rail - Telecoms
Attainments: NGC, NCC, FCC, NDIP (H&S), SMSTS - GradIOSH.

Post by YoungNick »

I agree with Keith in the sense that, if the site doesn't have a policy on the non-use of Stanley knifes, than it should not be a problem at all for the lad to use it on that site if appropriate training is in place for work equipment(but thats another situation in its self i guess). Now if the College has a Policy for non-stanley knife use, they must only be able to enforce that power on their College site, and no further ?

Nick
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

A big thank you to all the members here at HSfB.
bedds
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: ijbedds

Post by bedds »

Some good comments, the lad in question is 18, so legally able to purchase bladed items (I checked first) I agree there are other tools on the market and have no issue with him using those at all, in fact I'm not against it for any reason, I do want to get an answer to the 'kicked off the course' angle however.

I understand the potential for injury, however our record on site is excellent, our maintenance team are very safety aware and are what I consider true craftsmen. They have many years experience in using the tools they do and thus demonstrate competence, should the record change however, I would consider a move toward safer alternatives
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
andybz
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by andybz »

I think quite a lot of companies ban Stanley knives. I know they can cause very serious injuries.

It sounds to me like the tutor has had bad experience where students have been injured whilst using Stanley knives during placements. He may have over-stepped the mark a bit on the way he has communicated this, but it sounds to me like the motivation is correct. Also, he may have seen Stanley knives being misused during a previous site visit, and does not want the student picking up bad habits.

I can't imagine there are many tasks performed by an electrician where a Stanley knife is the best tool to use. Simple solution is that if there happen to be some in your company, that the mentor does those jobs. I do believe the college has a right to set rules for its students to follow when on a placement. Just the same as an employer could if one of its employees was working on someone else's site.
Risk, safety and health
Human factors and ergonomics
http://www.simplesensiblesafety.co.uk
http://www.andybrazier.co.uk
YoungNick
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: CDM - Rail - Telecoms
Attainments: NGC, NCC, FCC, NDIP (H&S), SMSTS - GradIOSH.

Post by YoungNick »

andybz wrote:I think quite a lot of companies ban Stanley knives. I know they can cause very serious injuries.

I have to admit even thou the college and workplace i carried out my apprenticeship didn't have a ban on Stanley knives back then (2008-2010) the first theory class we attended was on health and safety, we saw lots of nasty photos including one with a stanley knife - it is to this day by far one of worst photos ive ever come across in relation to hand injuries.
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

A big thank you to all the members here at HSfB.
Disco Bear
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @GCHSTraining
Industry Sector: Training

Post by Disco Bear »

If this is an Apprenticeship then the training is being funded by the Skills Funding Agency. They will have a contract with the training provider (i.e. the college) which states the training provider must ensure the learner's H&S at all times when in funded training. This includes checking-out the workplace beforehand and making sure safe systems of work etc. are in place. The training provider has a duty of care towards the learner. The learner is in funded training at all times he/she is attracting Apprenticeship funding, not just during the time they are at college.
This is what gives the training provider the ability to remove them from the course if they think fit. It does not give them the ability to tell the employer how to run their business :)
The learner risk assessment, which should have been completed before funded training commenced, should highlight any restrictions or prohibitions. So this might be where the use of Stanley knives is banned (if the training provider has decided this particular learner can't be trusted with one). If this is the case, the employer should have been made aware of this - the employer should have signed a training agreement and the learner's individual risk assessment. If this is not the case then you have a shoddy training provider - go and get someone better ;)
Ian Rienewerf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ian Rienewerf »

I stopped using stanley knives a long time ago.
And I was never ever shown to use one at work for wire stripping during my apprenticeship - it's just too dangerous and totally uneccessary.

A pair for side cutters do a better job - and will allow you to keep all your fingers.
There are plenty of safety knives for stripping back the outer sheath, without nicking the internal insulation and ending up with bared wires.
http://www.irems.co.uk
Risk management for companies with 5 to 50 employees

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy