H&E risk assessment test at football ground

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

jazz
Student
Student

H&E risk assessment test at football ground

Post by jazz »

I need some advice regarding a health and safety risk assessment test. I reported a problem to my local environment dept back in Feb 2010 concerning a low boundary fence at a football ground, the ball leaves the grounds and hits traffic or parked cars on a regular basis. The environmental dept agreed there was a problem and requested the club to carry out a risk assessment. I don't know the findings of the test but the club appears not to be doing anything about this boundary fence.

The environmental department is just reporting that they are looking into the problem, but the grounds are still being used. I honestly don't think that the club or the environmental dept are going to do anything regarding this boundary fence. The local council has associations with this private club that's why I believe that I am just being fobbed off.

So the question is if the health and safety risk assessment test has picked up an issue with the boundary fence is the club still allowed to use the grounds?
Because I appear to be getting nowhere with the club or the environmental dept I am considering reporting the matter directly to the health and safety executive, do you think this kind of action is suitable for my complaint?
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: H&E risk assessment test at football ground

Post by Alexis »

Hi again Jazz. Just for information for others who haven't seen the original post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25660&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In answer to this query, "So the question is if the health and safety risk assessment test has picked up an issue with the boundary fence is the club still allowed to use the grounds?"

If the club have picked up something from their risk assessment that requires new measures, then the simple answer to your first question is yes they are still allowed to use the grounds unless of course what they found would be life-threatening, then it perhaps wouldn't be advisable in case of a court case.

They are most probably trying to find a "reasonable" adjustment to the problem thus you have not heard anything from them.

As for your second query regarding reporting to the HSE, I personally would take the advice of Kev on your original post first and put everything in writing to the departments he suggests as your next move.

Sorry I can't be of much help with this Jazz. I really do think Kev's suggestion is the best way forward now.

Good luck to you.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

I know this may sound a bit off the wall but have you uploaded the video clips to youtube (have you shot any more). by doing this you can add a link in the letters you send out so peole can see for them selves and find it harder to ignore if there is video footage of your complaint. Also maybe contact the local police station again with the video footage because if there is an accident they could end up dealing with it. Also as suggested may be get the local paper involved, also any neighbours who have seen the issue or experienced damage to their vehicles. One voice is easy to ignore a whole streets of people complaining is a different matter. If you see people who's car were nearly hit maybe a have a word with them if they stop and get them to write a letter of complaint to those who should be told if you can give them the contact details hopefully they would complain.

Red
Ian Rienewerf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ian Rienewerf »

Also - the HSE has a free helpline.
They can advise you on the correct course of action.

You appear to have a valid complaint if the sports activities are work related.
i.e. via the premises management, site maintenance, or groundstaff.
Refering them to H&S at Work Act, section 3 (1)
http://www.irems.co.uk
Risk management for companies with 5 to 50 employees

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy