Moderator: Moderators

lewes
Snr Member
Snr Member

Pallet Truck - SSOW

Post by lewes »

Hi guys and girls

Sadly im on the scrounge (again).

Has any one got a copy of a safe system of work for Pallet Trucks of the non-powered variety as I need to make sure I haven’t missed anything out.

All help much appreciated

Lewes
Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction/Major Power

Post by Woodie »

PM me your email addy ;)
Truth never damages a cause that is just. GANDHI (1869-1948)

http://nott-us.co.uk/
Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction/Major Power

Post by Woodie »

You have mail :lol:
Truth never damages a cause that is just. GANDHI (1869-1948)

http://nott-us.co.uk/
Paul gardner
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Paul gardner »

Hope this is OK for you.

SAFE SYSTEM OF WORK0030
USE OF HAND PALLET TRUCKS (PUMP TRUCKS)

1. Introduction. This safe system is designed to enable you to work more safely.
Safe System of Work.

Prior to use.
a) Only trained staff are permitted to carryout this procedure.
b) Prior to use each day you must check that the truck is not damaged and is operating correctly. Faults must be reported to your Manager or Key-Op immediately. Do not use a damaged truck.
c) You are to ensure that the safe working load is displayed on the truck. This may vary according to the type and make of the truck. You are to ensure that you do not exceed the SWL.

During use.
d) Use the equipment in accordance with training received.

e) Lower loads to the ground when not moving the truck.
f) Passengers must not be carried on the truck.
g) The pump truck is not to be used as a scooter or ride on skateboard.
h) The truck or load is not to be used as a ladder to reach objects on the racking.
i) Position the truck away from where you are working so that you do not fall over it.

j) Don’t jerk the truck, move it smoothly.
k) Secure stock on the pallet prior to movement to prevent boxes from falling off the pallet and becoming damaged. This is a dangerous act and a waste of company stock and. If a load appears to be un-safely stacked do not move it until it has been made safe to do so.

l) When operating the pump truck you should look in the direction of travel.
m) You are to inform your Manager or Key-Op if you feel the pallet truck is not safe to be used.

n) You are responsible for ensuring that the load carried does not exceed the safe working load capacity of the pump truck. It will be your responsibility to know what those capacities are.
o) You are responsible for planning your route to avoid obstacles and pedestrians.

p) Do not enter or exit an aisle with the forks leading. This could lead to people being struck around the ankles and feet.

I have read and understand the above information on the correct Safe System of Work for this operation and will follow it at all times.

Signature of employee…………………..Name of employee…………………….

Signature of trainer…………………………...Date……………………
And in Brendan Behans footsteps I danced up and down the street.....

Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.
lewes
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by lewes »

Thanks people and have a good weekend ;)
andybz
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by andybz »

Can I just ask how Paul's SSOW compares with others out there. I cannot fault a single thing said in it, but it seems like a lot for something that I would consider to be relatively simple and low risk. I'd welcome any comments about how people achieve a sensible balance.
Thanks
Risk, safety and health
Human factors and ergonomics
http://www.simplesensiblesafety.co.uk
http://www.andybrazier.co.uk
dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 »

I think thats an excellent SSW. i do not think there is too much. Yes a simple bit of kit but still plenty to go wrong.
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found
Stevie Johnno
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Stevie Johnno »

This raises another question. During Manual Handling training we always advise that is best to "push" a load rather than "pull" it, how do you proceed if you need to go around a blind bend? :?
PEDRO
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by PEDRO »

Johnno as I was reading down the SSOW I to thought that it doesn't state to Push rather than Pull...then I reached your post.

In answer to your question if I was coming to a blind corner I would stop and walk to the corner and make sure its clear first. Aslo we only insist that pulling should be done with relativley low weights and anything that requires use of high force must be a two man job. This not only helps with the effort required but also helps in the control.

The other point is that if I had identified a blind corner on my route I would be pushing for a mirror to be installed if it is a regular route for MHE that is.
The points we cover under Safety are:

TO OPERATE A PUMP TRUCK AND MOVE LOADS SAFELY AND CORRECTLY.
Safety: -
1 Check that all wheels are in good order and not off-balance when fully raised.
2 Ensure that any load to be lifted is secure and will not fall over or slide off when lifted or moved.
3 Do not ride on the pump truck under any circumstances (horseplay is gross misconduct and could result in dismissal from employment).
4 Never move at more than a slow walking pace.
5 Do not move excessively heavy loads down ramps or slopes as the load could run way with itself and cause a serious accident.
6 Ensure that no one is standing near a load when you lower it to the floor to avoid foot injuries.
7 Protective footwear should be worn when operating the pump truck.
8 Check the floor area is free from product and engineering debris before attempting to pull a truck across it.
9 Do not strain when pulling or pushing a load .I f your body weight will not move the load then you need assistance to pull, control and stop the load.
10 Never leave a raised pallet on a pump truck unattended – it may roll away!!!

This I feel covers most aspects of what some-one posted earlier is a realtively easy task without going too much into detail and trying to cover off evbery eventuallity.

Regards
Pedro
Stew 1000
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @ProActivewear
Industry Sector: Education sector

Post by Stew 1000 »

Just on the subject of pallet trucks and guidance,

How do others instruct on pushing and pulling, the reson beaing was due to a very serious accident i had to investigate which lead to a claim.

The person in question was pulling the pallet truck forward and using one hand, which we have either all seen done or still do.

The pallet truck wheel got stuck on a slither of wood from a pallet, this was in a very busy packing department. The resulting stoppage pulled his shoulder out and back in and resulted in muscle damage - que a long time off and a claim.

safe systems of work do ask the operator to check the floor for debris, but in most cases the op is in a hurry to deposit the pallet.

The accident aside, what do others tell their staff in relation to the use fo both hands on the pallet truck ????
"Never trust a man who, when he`s alone in a room with a tea-cosy, doesnt try it on"

http://www.proactivewear.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sleepy184
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by sleepy184 »

Stew 1000 wrote:Just on the subject of pallet trucks and guidance,

How do others instruct on pushing and pulling, the reson beaing was due to a very serious accident i had to investigate which lead to a claim.

The person in question was pulling the pallet truck forward and using one hand, which we have either all seen done or still do.

The pallet truck wheel got stuck on a slither of wood from a pallet, this was in a very busy packing department. The resulting stoppage pulled his shoulder out and back in and resulted in muscle damage - que a long time off and a claim.

safe systems of work do ask the operator to check the floor for debris, but in most cases the op is in a hurry to deposit the pallet.

The accident aside, what do others tell their staff in relation to the use fo both hands on the pallet truck ????
As far as I am aware, we have always been instructed to PULL the pallet truck! I will have to check for the SSOW when I get work and i will let you know what it says.
Also before pedro said, I was going to say that if we are using said truck, we have to wear Safety Footwear as the pallet could land on your foot but I see he has covered that one :lol:
sleepy184
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by sleepy184 »

sleepy184 wrote:
Stew 1000 wrote:Just on the subject of pallet trucks and guidance,

As far as I am aware, we have always been instructed to PULL the pallet truck! I will have to check for the SSOW when I get work and i will let you know what it says.
Also before pedro said, I was going to say that if we are using said truck, we have to wear Safety Footwear as the pallet could land on your foot but I see he has covered that one :lol:
Well I did check and it does say to PULL the Pallet truck. Is there anyone else's ssow that says to Pull the truck or should they always be pushed?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy